The Human Resources & Operations Coordinator supports the HR Manager and Operations function with general administration assistance, reporting into the HR Manager. This person will be an enthusiastic team member of a highly effective team, supporting the HR Manager in HR tasks as well as the Chief Operating Officer in operational tasks. Please note this position reports into Watkins Glen, NY and is not a remote position.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to, new hire onboarding, training scheduling and oversight, data and HRIS management, reporting, and other Human Resources related projects. This involves providing employee support for basic system operations and access. This person will be responsible for supporting the employee experience on site at our Watkins Glen sanctuary, as well as organizational efficiency from the HR & Operations standpoint. The HR & Operations Coordinator works closely with the HR Manager, COO & Operations Team, Shelter Operations team and Finance team.
- Coordinate pre-hire process including background checks, initiating reference checks, and uploading employee information into HRIS systems
- Support Human Resources Manager with employee support functions including managing pre-hire paperwork and employee engagement activities; assist with the data entry and completion of digital new hire paperwork with onboarding employees
- Act as the first point of contact for all hires, first in-person contact to all temporary and staff new hires joining the Shelter Operations teams on site
- Continually question and make recommendations to upgrade processes to be as user friendly, efficient and scalable as possible
- Maintain and update company HRIS systems while providing value-added reports for decision making
- Provide timely assistance to employees and answer tier 1 support questions regarding personal profiles, payroll, and benefits
- Process employee terminations including distribution of separation paperwork
- Be involved in special projects requiring data analysis and opportunity to provide data-driven solutions
- Support IT coordination functions in Watkins Glen as needed
- Serve as Operations Coordinator locally in Watkins Glen – must be willing to pick-up mail, process incoming requests, making recommendations for less analog processes as available
- Assist in preparation of special events such as team off-sites and other organizational gatherings
- Provide support for all other Human Resources activities as necessary
- Provide support for all COO initiatives on-site in Watkins Glen as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or related field required; at least 1 year of HR support experience in a busy, fast paced professional environment a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to monitor several communication channels at once (zendesk, basecamp, gmail etc).
- Comfortable with Excel and other Microsoft systems as well as G-Suite.
- Trustworthy with confidential information and a professional sensibility; instills trust in colleagues.
- Able to flex and be nimble in an evolving organization.
- Proven commitment and active engagement in supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.