The Farm Sanctuary Events & Experience team promotes increased visitation, affinity, and philanthropic support for the organization through Sanctuary experience programs and events to inspire and support transitional steps toward counter-oppressive vegan living. As the public face of the organization, this team is responsible for creating a welcoming, enjoyable, and safe Sanctuary experience for visitors. Leveraging Farm Sanctuary’s distinctive mission, brand, and identity, the Events & Experience Team design and manage programs and events that engage the full range of organizational constituents, from first-time visitors to top supporters, fostering an awareness of and connection to farm animals as individuals and educating youth and adults about the lives of animals and interrelated issues of oppression in our food system.
As members of Farm Sanctuary’s Events and Experience Team, Sanctuary Guides assist with all aspects of our Sanctuary experience. This role is an integral part of the Events and Experience Team, providing onsite support and serving as an ambassador for the organization. As a public-facing role, this position is expected to be knowledgeable, welcoming, and courteous to our diverse audience.
The Sanctuary Guide position offers a unique opportunity to work with a team of committed staff and volunteers focused on advocating for farm animals. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain skills and experience in animal advocacy work and considerable knowledge of issues around animal agriculture. Successful candidates will bring a welcoming and warm demeanor, a strong sense of hospitality, and have a sincere connection to animal advocacy.
This position includes a daily rotation of responsibilities: providing and leading tours to guests of the sanctuary, greeting guests upon arrival, and supporting the Sanctuary Shop and Bed and Breakfast program.
- Create an inclusive, safe, and inviting guest experience for visitors and members
- Greet guests, proactively engaging with visitors, providing information, and way-finding
- Conduct public and special VIP tours with provided script
- Work alongside Animal Care and Facilities teams to maintain animal residents safety and comfort
- Support safety between guests and animal residents
- Support Sanctuary Shop operations
- Daily upkeep of the Visitor Barn
- Complete daily opening and closing procedures
- Assist with Bed and Breakfast Program, including regular breakfast set up, clean up, and occasional housekeeping duties
- Assist with onsite Sanctuary events and outreach projects
- Provide administrative assistance as needed
- Provide daily reports to Events and Experience Managers
Requirements and qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Customer service, guest-relations or hospitality experience preferred
- Must enjoy guest experience work and possess the ability to be professional and gracious in high volume situations
- Knowledge of farmed animal and vegan issues
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s mission and pursuing a vegan lifestyle
- Strong communication, public speaking, and outreach skills
- Must be able to work independently and exercise good judgment
- Ability to easily communicate with various audiences
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must be a team player and collaborate well with colleagues
- Willingness and ability to perform physical labor and moderate lifting
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Must be dependable
- Temporary, non-exempt, full-time position
- The position is from June – October 2021
- Starting wage is $15/hour
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.