***Applications for this position will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Prospective candidates are encouraged to submit their applications at the earliest opportunity to maximize their chances of consideration.***
Summary: In close collaboration with the Animal Care managers, the Assistant Manager, Wellness: Veterinary Technician works to apply evidence-based, holistic care practices and hence, the provision of environments conducive to optimal physical, emotional, cognitive, and social health for all residents. In direct collaboration with the Sanctuary Veterinarian, this position coordinates and manages vaccine and health check schedules, annual/biannual treatments, vet visits, cattle hoof trimming, and sheep shearing. Additionally, they ensure the Sanctuary Veterinarian and external vets are kept up to date on cases. This role provides oversight and leadership to the Wellness team. This position collaborates closely with the Research & Animal Welfare team in implementing goal-oriented animal welfare programs, including the provision of daily, goal-oriented enrichment and the use of positive training to provide cooperative care.
- Performs vet tech responsibilities, such as, administering medications, collecting diagnostic samples, administering sedation and/or anesthesia under the direction of the veterinarian, and assisting with or performing euthanasia.
- Handle critical resident cases using sound judgment to best stabilize animals, at times, in the absence of a clinician;
- Directly collaborates with Sanctuary Veterinarian
- Maintains healthcare-related schedules
- Creates vet visit lists
- Disseminates information over Basecamp/Animal Care Software
- Assists Sanctuary Veterinarian in communication with external vets
- Performs a minimum of 1-2 Caregiving shifts per week as described in the Caregiver job description
- Carry out and maintain Animal feeding an watering schedules
- Prepare and administer medications
- Provide daily enrichment
- Observe and document animal behaviors and wellness
- Trains Wellness team members on shifts and select skills
- Conducts working interviews with prospective Wellness candidates for open positions
- Leads health checks for all species
- Oversees Veterinarian appointments and ensures the Sanctuary Veterinarian is kept up-to-date on all cases
- Helps facilitate healthcare meetings
- Works with Animal Care team and Research & Animal Welfare teams to implement enrichment and animal learning opportunities programs
- Works with Animal Welfare Coordinator to incorporate more cooperative care techniques
- Acts as a Farm Sanctuary Animal Care representative for tours, media, events, etc.
- Supports Animal Care Intern Program by working with interns onsite in daily tasks
- Other duties, as assigned by veterinarian and/or Wellness leadership
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking throughout Sanctuary grounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting (up to 50 lbs regularly; team-lift heavier amounts regularly)
- Must be able to bend, lift, push, stoop, stretch, climb, and crawl and other strenuous physical activities
- Must be able to regularly perform job responsibilities work in a variety of weather conditions; almost all work is done in outdoor setting that is not climate controlled
- Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) Certification required
- Two years of experience at an Animal Sanctuary or animal-care related organization
- Excellent organizational skills and proven leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen and interact constructively and professionally with those seeking Farm Sanctuary’s assistance
- Understanding of animal welfare and willingness to explore innovative animal care care practices that center animal agency
- Resourcefulness and ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a quick environment, handling varied tasks simultaneously while meeting multiple (and sometimes competing) deadlines
- Highly flexible and adaptable to ever-changing and unexpected situations and developments
- Self-motivated team player
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, troubleshoot, and follow through in a timely manner, ensuring project completion
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity, social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission
We embrace candidates from a range of backgrounds and experiences, regardless of whether they satisfy all the specified requirements. We encourage you to apply, even if you have an unconventional or non-traditional background.
- Terms of Employment: Full-time, non-exempt position
- Report to: Manager, Wellness and Sanctuary Veterinarian
- Direct Reports: None
- Pay: $23-24 per hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Location: Watkins Glen, NY
- Schedule: Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required. Evening hours may be required during summer months
- Travel: Occasional travel, once or twice a month, may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues
- Benefits: Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance; free access to CALM meditation app and the Nivati Wellness platform
- Stage 1: 30-minute phone interview with our Talent Acquisition Manager
- Stage 2: 1-hour video interview with our Sanctuary Veterinary and Director of Animal Care
- Stage 3: Reference Checks
- Stage 4: On-Site Visit to our Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuary
- Stage 5: Job Offer
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where all employees are respected, valued, and feel a sense of belonging. We work hard to provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type. We take our duty seriously to protect employees with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We believe that our prioritization of diversity, equity, and inclusion is a strength and essential to achieving our mission. A diverse workforce brings many perspectives, ideas, and experiences, leading to more creative and effective solutions to our complex issues. By embracing diversity and creating an inclusive environment, we foster a culture of belonging where innovation and growth can thrive. We are dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our organization, including hiring and recruitment practices, employee development and training, and interactions with the communities we serve. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are core components in fulfilling our mission of rescuing and protecting farmed animals from cruelty, and we are committed to creating a culture of respect, civility, and compassion for all.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.