Responsibilities & Duties
Governance and Operations:
- Develops and implements strategies to fulfill the organization’s mission and ensures compliance with all internal policies.
Leads F.E.P. in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board and the President.
- Provides overall leadership and operational management across all 4 core programs (farm worker rights, veganism, food access, and labor in the global chocolate industry).
- Works with the Board to make informed decisions; collaborating with staff and the Board on long-term strategies; submitting to the Board proposed annual budgets and monthly financial statements which accurately reflect the organization’s financial condition.
Financial Performance and Viability:
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of F.E.P., including: operating within the approved budget; ensuring maximum resource utilization; maintaining a positive financial position; taking proactive and quick response measures against challenges; ensuring F.E.P.’s long-term financial health to support F.E.P.’s mission.
- Develops and executes long-term fundraising goals and plans, including vision for donor relations to ensure long term financial health of the org.
- Maintains a solid overall understanding of the organization’s overall health at all times.
Mission and Strategy:
- Leads the team to fulfill the organizational mission through programs, community outreach, and strategic planning.
- Provides full oversight and direction of programs, campaigns, and communications.
- Community engagement – Lead by maintaining an active and visible role in the community, and working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations aligned with F.E.P.’s values.
- Oversees the team, including development, marketing, office, operations, and campaign staff.
- Responsible for overseeing the hiring and retention of qualified staff as approved in the annual budget or by Board vote.
- Provides leadership and professional development opportunities to staff.
- Creates positive culture and is committed to anti-oppression politics in practice, and creates a safe space for equitable solutions that advance our work.
Requirements and Qualifications
- A minimum of five years leadership and/or management experience.
- Proven success with fundraising and development and working with major donors highly desired.
- Experience developing and/or implementing strategic plans; experience with qualitative and quantitative data collections to assess and evaluate the success of programs and campaigns.
- Demonstrated management skills in the area of human resources, and staff and volunteer management and development, effective team building with a strong commitment to collaborative, team-oriented management.
- Experience in program development, management, and ability to adapt programs to reflect social and political needs.
- A deep understanding and passion for F.E.P.’s mission and values, and experience working in a non-profit setting with a mission-driven staff.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion within organizations, and ideally food justice organizations/movements.
Food Empowerment Project is a vegan food justice organization and a registered non-profit 501(c)(3) based in Petaluma, CA.
Please review our website, www.foodispower.org, prior to applying. Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) is an ethics-based organization and we are searching for individuals whose ethics and values are similar to our organization’s mission. Please be sure to include in your cover letter how your personal values and practices are parallel with F.E.P.’s overall mission and goals. People of color, women and non-binary folks, immigrants, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We have engaged Fitz-Roy and Associates for this search. Interested candidates, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Food Empowerment Project
Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We encourage healthy food choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, the depletion of natural resources, unfair working conditions for produce workers, and the unavailability of healthy foods in low-income areas.
The Executive Director (E.D.) will lead the strategic direction and set a progressive vision for the future while managing all operations of a three-person team in partnership with the Board of Directors and Founder lauren Ornelas.