Are you one of those hyper-organized people who naturally proofread menus and keep your folders color coded? Do you impress your friends with how your spice cupboard is perfect and your email inbox is always empty? Put your incredible detail-orientation to work as our part-time administrative assistant! We need someone who is passionate about vegan food justice, who is self-motivated and efficient, and who also loves working with others. There is tremendous room for growth, and the ideal candidate should be willing to pitch in to help in a small but growing organization in a wide variety of ways. You’ll work with the F.E.P. founder, our executive director, and our program managers to keep everything running smoothly. You’ll need to be able to come into our office in San Jose, California, at least once a week and have some flexibility for evenings and weekends when we are putting on events or working with the public.
Example Administrative Duties
- Maintain the F.E.P. physical office space and ensure supplies are restocked as needed (printing materials, water, snacks, etc.).
- Enter data of event sign-up information.
- Manage merchandise and printed materials inventory and keep stocked as needed.
- Manage F.E.P.’s Square online shop and ship merchandise to supporters.
- Mail F.E.P. materials to supporters, donors, board members, and staff members.
- Coordinate and schedule virtual and in-person meetings for the F.E.P. team, Board, including scheduling and sending out meeting invitations.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, reservations and rentals for speaking events, and in a post-COVID world, organize tabling materials for out-of-state vegan fests and other events where F.E.P. will be represented.
- Check PO box weekly, sort, and route correspondence to the relevant staff.
- Prepare checks for deposit and bank deposit sheets for reconciliation.
- Promote F.E.P. events and job openings to local email listservs.
- Coordinate/order, organize and buy materials and supplies for program activities.
- Internet research as needed.
- Answer main phone line and route to appropriate team members.
- Understand Food Empowerment Project’s mission and philosophy and is able to professionally advocate on behalf of the organization when speaking with others.
- Set up and maintain office tech equipment as needed, such as printers and staff laptops (currently using MacBooks).
- Coordinate and attend local and out of state events to table about the organization.
- 1–2 years of experience as an executive assistant, office assistant, or administrative assistant, preferably at a nonprofit.
- Thorough understanding of standard office administrative practices and procedures.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral). Comfortable answering the phone and establishing a good rapport with supporters/donors.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion.
- Able to work independently, be self-motivated, and dependable.
- Highly organized with excellent time-management skills, strong attention to detail, and follow-up.
- Can handle time-sensitive work without sacrificing accuracy.
- Able to self-prioritize tasks based on understanding the organization’s short-term and long-term needs.
- Thrives in a highly collaborative virtual and in-person environment.
- Solicits feedback and self-corrects based on feedback received.
- Sees the big picture and suggests process efficiencies for the organization.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Office Specialists Certification preferred), mail merge and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Working knowledge of communication/project management software (e.g., Slack, Basecamp), and Dropbox, Google Drive/Docs, or other information management systems.
- Willingness to learn—and become skilled—with our technology platforms, including Network for Good, Mailchimp, and more.
- Experience with setting up and maintaining tech equipment.
- Ability to travel for events.
- Personal values in alignment with F.E.P.’s values and mission.
Hours: Monday–Thursday (four days a week, 4–5 hours a day); some evening and weekend hours, as needed for special events, outreach, conferences, etc.
Hourly Rate: $28/hr
Benefits: Vacation, sick time, and half of health insurance up to $300 a month, and a professional development budget.
Application deadline: We’re accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Our goal is to fill the position as soon as possible.
Application process: Please send us your resume highlighting relevant experience and skills and a cover letter, including your work experience as it directly relates to this position.
Please email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Administrative Assistant.” No phone calls, please.
People of color, women and non-binary folks, immigrants, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply!
About Food Empowerment Project
Food Empowerment Project (https://www.foodispower.org), founded in 2007, seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We seek specifically to empower those with the fewest resources. Our advocacy areas include spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, fighting against unfair conditions for produce workers, calling for the availability of healthy foods in Black and Brown communities, and low-income areas, and the conservation of natural resources. We encourage healthy food choices that reflect a more compassionate society. Food Empowerment Project is a registered non-profit 501(c)(3).