Are you a talented and enthusiastic fundraiser who is also deeply passionate about vegan food justice? Want to help create a more just and sustainable world by helping folks take back the power of their food choices? Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) is looking for a full-time Development Manager (D.M.) to lead all of our fundraising efforts, from virtual events, to digital donor engagement, to grants applications. We have 15 years of history working to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. In this role you would be an essential member of our team, working closely with the Executive Director and with our Founder to shape our fundraising and development for the long-term. We are looking for someone with experience in modern fundraising best practices such as SMS engagement, social media campaigns, and automated email nurture. Bring your amazing fundraising skills to an organization that aligns with your values!
Responsibilities & Duties
- Develop and execute long-term fundraising strategic plans including budget, calendar and detailed plans, set annual goals and objectives for the fundraising program for F.E.P. ensuring year-on-year growth and the long term financial health of the organization.
- Review current grants, annual donations, and previous fundraising records to plan for each year’s fundraising goals and budget.
- Identify ways to grow the fundraising program and income, including generating ideas for bringing in new donors, retaining and increasing donations from existing donors, and re-engaging lapsed donors.
- Identify strategies for new revenue streams for F.E.P..
- Create and manage the fundraising budget, and work closely with the Executive Director to assist with the annual budget process for the organization.
- Design a feedback/reporting system to regularly share the actual fundraising situation compared to goals and projections.
- Manage the purchase, deployment, training, and effective use of organizational tools and databases (such as the donor database and fundraising communications platform).
- Prepare grant proposals including supplementary materials such as 990s, collate updates on programs to present to donors, prepare grant reports, etc.
- Develop and nurture close relationships with major donors and foundations, including creating personalized gift acknowledgments, maintaining regular email/phone contact, regularly scheduled twice-per-year Foundation/grantmaking organization updates (via Zoom/phone).
- Create and coordinate all fundraising communications (emails, newsletters, letters, events, and giving campaigns). Currently his includes 4 printed appeals each year to our full list (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter/EOY, all of which are also e-appeals), 2 additional e-appeals (e.g. Giving Tuesday, F.E.P. birthday), more frequent asks at EOY (including an email from our Board/longtime supporter/volunteer) and ongoing email and outreach communications.
- Keep track of donor information updates/changes and ensure timely updates of the donor database. Check foundation contact information at least once every 2 months to ensure continued communication channels with grantmakers.
- Prepare and mail out donation acknowledgment letters
- Identify ways to improve automation of communications without compromising the personal touch of gift acknowledgments.
- Donor feedback survey
- Coordinate special donor-F.E.P.-staff networking events (virtual or in-person) to raise funds and awareness for F.E.P.’s work (currently 2/year)
- Conceptualize and roll out plans for fundraising events each year (virtual or in-person) (currently 2/year).
- Assist with event management; conduct event marketing and outreach.
- Prepare reports and materials for fundraising events and meetings with donors.
- Enter deposit information into Network for Good (NFG)
- Create fundraising-related content (ideas, vision, copy) and timelines for F.E.P.’s social media platforms.
- Coordinate and prepare annual state charitable solicitation compliance renewals before submission.
- Periodically update F.E.P.’s Guidestar profile to retain the highest rating.
- Submit matching gift request forms, if needed.
- Compile images/graphics for monthly e-newsletters, monthly donor email, and donor communications
- Setting up donation pages for special fundraising events e.g. SSD, virtual fundraisers, etc. in NFG
- Manage Facebook fundraising pages and event pages, including donor communications, updates, reminders, and other engagement related to fundraising
- Attend virtual and in person networking events – keeping track of fundraising trends and professional development
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of all constituent information
- Ensure that all supporter information is accurately maintained in MailChimp and that new donors in Network for Good are regularly added to the MailChimp supporter database.
- Wherever possible set up automation and paperless donation acknowledgments
- Establish an automated email engagement series for lapsed donors.
- Suggest strategies for improved fundraising efforts, tools, processes, and automations.
- Understand Food Empowerment Project’s mission and philosophy and professionally advocate on behalf of the organization.
- 7-9 years’ experience working in nonprofits with at least 5 years of current experience in digital fundraising, donor relations, and development
- Thorough understanding of modern fundraising best practices, including digital donor nurture, SMS engagement, social media engagement, and other grassroots automated fundraising
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral). Comfortable establishing a good rapport with donors and foundations via phone and video. Ability to make presentations to donors and foundations and respond professionally in all situations.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion.
- Able to work independently, be self-motivated, and dependable with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Highly organized with excellent time-management skills, strong attention to detail, and follow-up.
- Can handle time-sensitive work without sacrificing quality/accuracy.
- Able to remain calm and maintain composure amid challenging circumstances.
- Able to self-prioritize tasks based on understanding the organization’s short-term and long-term needs.
- Thrives in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Solicits feedback and self-corrects based on feedback received.
- Sees the big picture and suggests process efficiencies for the organization.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in MS Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel), particularly mail merge and pivot tables, and ability to quickly learn other technologies as needed for the position.
- Ability to travel as needed for special events or meetings.
Job location: While our office is in San José, California, we are willing to consider a remote working arrangement for exceptional candidates. We are only able to hire U.S.-based candidates at this time. No relocation assistance is available.
Hours: Monday–Thursday (four days a week, 9 hours a day); some evening and weekend hours, as needed for fundraising events and public outreach
Starting annual salary: $75-80k depending on experience
Benefits: Health care premium reimbursement for medical, dental, and vision premiums; paid vacation time of 3 weeks per year and increasing accrual based on tenure with the organization; and a professional development budget.
Application deadline: We’re accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Our goal is to fill the position as soon as possible.
Application process: Please send us your resume highlighting relevant experience and skills and a cover letter, including your work experience as it directly relates to this position.
Please email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Manager.” No phone calls, please.
People of color, women and non-binary folks, immigrants, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply!
About Food Empowerment Project
Food Empowerment Project (https://www.foodispower.org), founded in 2007, seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We seek specifically to empower those with the fewest resources. Our advocacy areas include spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, fighting against unfair conditions for produce workers, calling for the availability of healthy foods in Black and Brown communities, and low-income areas, and the conservation of natural resources. We encourage healthy food choices that reflect a more compassionate society. Food Empowerment Project is a registered non-profit 501(c)(3).