Looking for a detail-oriented person with a minimum of 1 year recent direct farm animal care experience and past people management experience to take on a leading role on our sanctuary team. We are seeking applicants for a long-term full-time position. On-site housing is available.
- Oversee daily care and medication for our 60-70 resident rescued animals
- Oversee routine animal care tasks (shearing, tusk/hoof trims, parasite testing/controls, health checks, etc.) — scheduling and hiring outside help as needed
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records of animal care, medications and vet visits
- Ensure safe, clean, enriching and comfortable environments for all resident animals
- Manage and keep animal feed, care, and medication supplies in stock at all times
- Train, supervise and schedule animal caregiver staff, interns and volunteers
- Oversee daily and seasonal farm and building maintenance and clean-outs, hiring outside contractors when needed
- Play a major role in new animal intake request decisions and initiate/coordinate rescues when needed
- Liaison with other animal sanctuaries to help place non-resident animals in need and keep up to date on best sanctuary practices
- Assist with humane education and public/animal safety during farm tours, group volunteer days, and outreach/fundraising events
- Maintain a safe, clean and inviting appearance at all times of the farm and residential areas
This is a great job for someone who:
- Has proven communication and collaborative leadership skills
- Has a passion for farm animal advocacy and embraces a vegan ethic and lifestyle
- Thrives on physically and mentally-challenging work and has no qualms about working outdoors in all weather, including hot/cold/wet/icy/snowy extremes
- Has strong observational skills and a critical eye for potential safety and health issues
- Offers creative solutions to detected problems, addresses all issues with immediacy, and exudes a positive “can-do” attitude
- Understands that managing a sanctuary of rescued farm animals is not an 8-5, M-F job; extra unexpected hours are often required
- Adjusts easily and quickly to evolving instructions based on the needs of the animals
- Is emotionally strong, mature, and capable of handling animal crises in a sometimes stressful and challenging work environment
- Has a strong connection to our mission and a desire to be an active member of a compassionate, community-building organization
Farm Managers are expected to be on call to assist with animals in crises, rescues, vet visits and other such urgent or unexpected matters.
Dependable (all-weather) transportation is necessary; applicants must be over 18 years old and have a clean driving record. Many weekends and holiday shifts will be expected and required.
- Full-time salaried position with possible on-site housing
- Salary DOE
- Health and vacation benefits available after 6 months
- Reimbursement for specific job-related educational and skill-building programs
About Graze in Peace
Graze in Peace is a 20-acre animal sanctuary where farm animals such as pigs, chickens, turkeys, goats, sheep and llamas are given a second chance at life in a safe, loving and peaceful environment. We provide lifelong homes to all animals we take in and through our humane education, sustainable living, and therapeutic care farm programs, we are building a base of compassion in our community where ALL beings can live in peace and thrive together.