Job Title: Animal Sanctuary Manager
Reports To: the Directors.
Job Overview: The Animal Sanctuary Manager will manage the daily routine care and welfare of the sanctuary animals as well as the running of the day to day seasonal volunteer experience and all of its elements.
Salary: Voluntary for the first year with potential to become paid position in 2021. Basic accommodation, food (vegan), utilities and work equipment are provided
Date from-to: March 2020-ongoing (with out of season holidays permitted)
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee the day to day operation of the sanctuary
- Oversee care and welfare practices
- Coordinate and administer medication/treatment in line with the organisation’s care standards and procedures
- Liaise with veterinaries if necessary
- Maintain and submit up to date daily animal checks and treatment records
- Liaise with directors on the priorities of areas for work (maintenance, building etc)
- Organise rotas and work schedules for team and volunteers
- Manage and train the volunteer experience team
- Oversee the daily running of the volunteer experience programme
- Help volunteer assistants and volunteers carry out daily tasks
- Assist with vet and farrier visits
- Take animals to vet when necessary
- Implement health and safety standards
- Assist with administrative duties
Qualifications and desired traits:
- Strong hands on animal care experience either in a relevant environment or with an animal care/management/husbandry qualification
- Excellent animal observation skills with animal behaviour knowledge (however, this can be learnt)
- Ability to manage a small team (management experience preferred)
- Customer service experience (you should strive to provide a 5 star customer experience)
- Excellent self-motivator and organised
- Positive, upbeat attitude and loads of energy
- Physically fit and able to work difficult, long hours and in all weathers (it gets extremely hot and we have some severe storms too)
- Excellent communicator (you must be able to communicate with the team and volunteers clearly)
- Full driver’s license
- Spanish speaker (preferred but not obligatory)
- Life saving credentials (preferred but not necessary)
- Compassionate, selfless and ability to empathise
Please only apply if you are 100% behind our mission and want to become an integral part of the development of Jacobs Ridge Animal Sanctuary.
About Jacobs Ridge
Jacobs Ridge is an animal sanctuary operating in the Murcia region of Spain and is owned and operated by British couple: Julian Nicholson and Rachael Wheeler.
The sanctuary is mostly funded by the volunteer experience break it offers which allows people to come and help out and get close to some of the 170 rescue animals whilst enjoying the sun, nature, local excursions and 100% vegan food.