We currently seek an international expansion manager to join our finance team. In this role you will oversee the expansion of finance and accounting systems in countries where Mercy For Animals plans to start and build operations.
You will do invaluable work:
- Support the legal team with performing financial due diligence for new country and regional operational expansions
- Ensure Mercy For Animals is in compliance with each country’s laws and regulations regarding grant transfers or other fund allocations
- Manage the onboarding process and set up company financial processes with business partners to establish Mercy For Animals’ financial infrastructure in new jurisdictions
- Ensure day-to-day finance operations run on time and within budget, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and staff expenses in each country
- Support the annual audit and tax filings for various countries, which may include working with local in-country accountants and tax advisors
- Act as a finance liaison for internal and external finance questions and requests
- Support communications about financial performance related to new markets, and share reports with Mercy For Animals budget owners, finance leadership team, senior leadership team, managing directors, and board of directors
- Assist with budget planning, monthly reports, grant management, and cash-flow modeling
- Spot-check financial reports for accuracy and consistency
- Lead implementation and maintenance of financial platforms, software, and tools that are compatible with each country’s financial and technical infrastructures
- Support internal controls and process improvement to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with financial policies
- Support finance vendors and staff in your region
- Work closely with our fundraising team
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned by team leader
Your qualifications will take our finance team to the next level:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a closely related field
- Midlevel progressive experience in financial management in multiple countries (M&A, accounting, and operations preferred)
- Fluency in English
- Understanding of basic accounting principles and standards
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Google Sheets, Sage, and Bill.com
- Familiarity with Salesforce and donation processing
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, as well as a high degree of organization and efficiency
- Team management experience
- Stellar customer service experience
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Work experience in nonprofit finance or an international organization (a plus)
- Ability to travel domestically one to two times per year, as well as internationally as we set up operations in new countries
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Shahid Maqsood is the senior vice president of finance at Mercy For Animals, overseeing U.S. and global finance. Shahid has over 15 years of experience in finance and operations. His experience and leadership have been focused on internal controls, simplified reporting, reducing low value-added work, improving processes, and overall budget and forecast management.
Shahid earned his bachelor’s degree in public health and then completed his master of business administration in finance. He currently resides in Louisville, Kentucky, with his wife and three children. In his free time, he enjoys traveling, spending time with family and friends, and listening to music.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $65,635–$74,660 (in the United States*), depending on qualifications. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3% of your annual earnings.
*Benefits and salary outside the United States will be shared early in the interview process.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.
About Mercy for Animals
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We offer employees ample time off, flexible schedules, telecommuting opportunities, and generous benefits. Self-care, mindfulness, and work-life balance are essential to building a sustainable movement for animals. Our offices are also dog-friendly and vegan.