We currently seek a public relations specialist to join our public relations team. In this role, you will support the public relations team by drafting written materials, compiling press lists and monthly reports, developing relationships with and pitching stories to relevant media contacts, and working with other departments across the organization to help meet their communications goals.
You will do invaluable work:
- Assist in the creation of communications collateral, including press releases, quotes, blog posts, op-eds, and website copy
- Work with the director of public relations to pitch our campaigns, investigations, and videos to media outlets
- Respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists
- Collaborate with other departments, including development, government affairs and public policy, and corporate engagement to meet their public relations objectives
- Monitor news coverage and social media outlets in Canada for issues of interest to the organization and assist with rapid-response communications
- Track communications with media outlets and journalists and share updates with supervisors and the corporate engagement team in Canada
- Serve as a Mercy For Animals spokesperson in media and at events, including industry gatherings and press conferences, as needed
- Work with other nonprofit organizations to foster positive relationships and coordinate between Mercy For Animals and other farmed animal advocacy professionals in Canada
- Assist in elevating Mercy For Animals’ profile in Canada through garnering media coverage
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned
Your qualifications will take our public relations team to the next level:
- One to three years of training or relevant experience in public relations, advocacy or fundraising communications, marketing, or advertising
- Comprehensive knowledge of the news media industry in Canada (experience pitching the media a plus)
- Interest in animal welfare and farmed animal issues
- Excellent organizational and scheduling skills
- Ability to work collaboratively, take direction, demonstrate initiative, and represent Mercy For Animals professionally
- Willingness to travel about one to three times a year for conferences or retreats
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Your team leader, Ronnika, APR, the director of public relations for the United States and Canada, has been helping organizations like Mercy For Animals with public relations programs for over 10 years. Ronnika oversees the public relations, editing, and celebrity relations teams. She values practicing excellent work-life balance, prioritizing professional development, and consistently finding joy in collaboration among fellow team members. Outside Mercy For Animals, she enjoys following the Marvel Cinematic Universe, performing volunteer public relations work, and spending time with her family and friends.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $72,137 – $82,056 (CAD), depending on qualifications. depending on qualifications. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, generous paid time off and sick leave, remote office fund, internet and phone service reimbursement, and yearly fund for professional development and self-care.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture, what we would gain from having you on our team, and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.
About Mercy for Animals
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We offer employees ample time off, flexible schedules, telecommuting opportunities, and generous benefits. Self-care, mindfulness, and work-life balance are essential to building a sustainable movement for animals. Our offices are also dog-friendly and vegan.