We are currently seeking a director of global policy to join our advocacy team. In this role, you will develop and lead Mercy For Animals’ international policy program to advance the mission and vision of the organization. The director of global policy will work with people throughout the world to advocate for farmed animals and a plant-based food system across various intergovernmental bodies.
You will do invaluable work:
- Lead efforts to strategize, research, develop, and implement transnational and global policy initiatives that erode support for industrialized animal agriculture, reduce the suffering of animals in the food system, and build support for a plant-based food system
- Coordinate transnational or global policy initiatives with regional policy team members or managing directors
- Manage the budget and annual operating plans for the global policy program
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization by attending conferences and events, conducting press conferences, meeting with stakeholders in government, and participating in media interviews regarding any of the organization’s undertakings
- Maintain strong relationships with key decision-makers and existing and potential partners
- Represent Mercy For Animals in coalitions and committees to achieve collective impact and advance Mercy For Animals’ policy priorities
- Build, manage, and lead coalitions to expand support for Mercy For Animals’ policy priorities, and develop coalitions with other nongovernmental organizations
- Communicate with and inspire members and supporters of the organization to take action and support policy initiatives
- Prepare program impact reports and grant reports to share our progress with donors and other key stakeholders
- Work with the legal affairs department to ensure that Mercy For Animals remains compliant with applicable laws
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned
Your qualifications will take our advocacy team to the next level:
- Mid-level experience with government affairs or public policy, preferably with a focus on advocating policy reform (experience in the form of academic study possibly considered)
- Experience with intergovernmental organizations (strongly preferred)
- Resilience and passion necessary to persevere in the face of a very challenging international policy landscape for farmed animals
- Fluency in written and spoken English (Spanish, Hindi, or Portuguese as a first or second language a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver presentations, address and overcome problems, and negotiate with third parties
- Proven exceptional organizational, research, and writing skills
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally in the future when safe to do so, about two to five trips per year
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $69,817 – $79,417 (in the United States*), depending on qualifications. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual earnings.
About Mercy for Animals
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We offer employees ample time off, flexible schedules, telecommuting opportunities, and generous benefits. Self-care, mindfulness, and work-life balance are essential to building a sustainable movement for animals. Our offices are also dog-friendly and vegan.