MANAGER OF ADVANCEMENT SERVICES
Remote in the United States
As manager of advancement services, you will work as part of the philanthropic and development leadership team, aiding in divisional strategic planning and management. This position sets the strategy for and leads all fundraising-support operations at Mercy For Animals.
You will continually scan the broader environment, determine best practices, and lead an innovative strategy to drive Mercy For Animals’ prospect research, pipeline development, moves management, and gift-tracking efficiency toward ongoing improvement and growth. Key near-term goals include preparation for a comprehensive fundraising campaign and continued implementation of Salesforce and WealthEngine to set and meet increased fundraising goals. This is an exciting opportunity to enhance a newly launched operational program.
You will do invaluable work:
- Manage the collection, preparation, analysis, interpretation, and maintenance of materials and data requiring a comprehensive knowledge of data management, ensuring that materials are structured so that the development team can advance fundraising and alumni engagement through strategic decisions
- Ensure the timely and accurate reporting of all fundraising activities
- Oversee acknowledgment of pledges, pledge payments, matching gifts, memorial gifts, in-honor gifts, and other contributions to Mercy For Animals in accordance with IRS standards
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure timely gift entry and processing
- Proactively capture biographical information and data updates on donor and prospect records using Salesforce, WealthEngine, and other database and productivity platforms
- Oversee the gift cycle, from proposal through stewardship, and prospect development services (research, management, reporting and analytics, and campaign support)
- Establish donor and prospect data-processing procedures
- Develop, generate, and disseminate critical weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial and development reports to leadership and relevant team members
- Oversee all external reporting of fundraising results and maintain thorough knowledge of best practices in nonprofit reporting
- Direct staff in the timeliness and accuracy of gift receipts to benefactors, as well as benchmark and report on gift receipt production in accordance with IRS and industry standards
- Support fundraising and stewardship activities related to major gifts, planned gifts, and corporate and foundation philanthropy; and establish protocols and procedures to support all types of giving
- Lead all advancement services functions:
- Partner with peers across Mercy For Animals to develop database strategies using Salesforce and WealthEngine and oversee data accuracy, reporting, enhancement, and integrity in support of fundraising goals
- Liaise with the finance team for gift processing and partner closely with impact and finance colleagues on gift management, including receipting, stewardship, accounting, and reporting—all with auditing best practices in mind
- Oversee donor relations and stewardship, including acknowledgment and report materials and scheduling for high-level donors, and provide other stewardship touchpoints
- Incorporate the utmost service orientation into advancement services, ensuring establishment of fully functional backup capacity and expanding or altering departmental services as needed
- Oversee prospect development services, including research, management, reporting and analytics, and campaign support
- Build departmental expertise, maximizing effectiveness, efficiency, timeliness, accuracy, and ROI
- Supervise advancement services staff through the employee life cycle, including hiring, onboarding, training, goal setting, managing and recognizing performance, and inspiring employee growth, and aim to retain top talent
You have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of five years’ job-related experience with progressive management responsibilities
- Experience working in a fundraising capacity and knowledge of data-driven fundraising concepts
- Proficiency in Salesforce data management, reporting, and customer or donor journey mapping
- Experience with Google G-Suite and WealthEngine
- Ability to work remotely
- Sensitivity to the importance of stewardship and donor relations, ability to protect confidential information, and utmost accuracy in maintaining and updating files
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, detail orientation, and ability to set priorities and effectively manage time in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills and thorough knowledge of business English
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work well with internal and external constituencies
- Exceptionally strong service orientation
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I am highly organized and self-motivated, with a talent for devising out-of-the-box solutions to complex problems. Globally minded, I am adept at culturally competent communications. As a vegan, I am passionate about the mission, vision, and values of Mercy For Animals.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $45,000–$55,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance, generous paid time off and sick leave, and eligibility to participate in Mercy For Animals’ 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3% of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications, so be sure to clearly convey in your cover letter your general fit for the role, outlining relevant experience and your overall alignment with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization, and we value diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability are encouraged to apply. We are committed to providing an inclusive, positive, respectful, safe, and supportive work environment where equal opportunities are available to all team members.
About Mercy For Animals
Mercy For Animals is the largest and most effective international charity focused exclusively on preventing cruelty to farmed animals.
As part of an international team of innovators changing the world, you will do the most meaningful work of your life at MFA.
We’ve obtained unprecedented convictions of factory farms, pressured major companies to change how they treat animals, inspired millions to pledge to go vegetarian, and won major legislative victories.