About the role:
The purpose of Our Beginning’s kitchen is to nourish the pallets of young children through Whole Foods Plant-Based and Certified Organic foods. Under the general direction of the Kitchen Manager and/or designee the Cook assist with menu planning and preparation of hot breakfasts, lunches and snacks for children and staff that fulfills the purpose of Our Beginning. Having opportunities to learn some of the Kitchen Manager duties and cross train. This position also supports the Kitchen Manager to implement nutritional training programs for children and adults.
- Prepare ingredients to be used in dishes for meal service.
- Take weekly inventory of supplies.
- Assist with recipe development; whole foods – plant-based.
- Assist with compliance with local, state and federal mandates for kitchen compliance.
- Cook and plate dishes for meal service
- Manage meal service including prep, cooking, plating, loading carts, delivering carts, retrieving carts.
- Adjust recipes/dishes to accommodate dietary restrictions, supplies, audience (age, class size)
- Maintain highest food safety and quality standards for all meals and food served.
- Develop & document new/adjusted recipes as needed, submit to Kitchen Manager, Nutritionist, and Dietician.
- Employ and manage first in, first out inventory system. Implement process improvement as needed.
- Manage, monitor, and communicate inventory/stocking needs with kitchen manager
- Receive and inventory all foods.
- Labeling all inventory properly to Our Beginning’s standards
- Greeting staff and families. Follow Door Security Protocol.
- Answering kitchen phone if call is directed for kitchen.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Impeccable Food Safety/Cleanliness/Sanitation standards
- Immaculate Food Quality & Nutrition Excellence
- Dietary Restrictions/Allergy awareness
- Timely food preparation, cooking and completion; On-time meal service (Early when practical)
- Follow Recipes, document adjustments if needed
- FIFO inventory system, optimize for freshness, minimize food waste
- Clear/Open communication with staff, students, parents, administrators
- Innovative, exciting, age-appropriate dishes and meals
- Maintenance of kitchen equipment and supplies
- Child-appropriate portions, bite-size, taste
Skills and Requirements
- 4-5+ years of culinary experience.
- Prefer an Associate’s degree in Food Service, nutrition or closely related field.
- Prefer current Serv-Safe certificate.
- Computer skills, including Word, Excel and online reporting. Experience with Date Code Genie
- Knowledge of Washington State Child Care Licensing requirements.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Our Beginning is a smoker-free workplace.
- Must provide and maintain Department of Children, Youth and Families background/check clearance, proof of TB Screen, MMR Vaccine, CPR/First Aid, Food Handler Permit, STARS Training, Bloodborne Pathogens/HIV Training.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, walk up and down stairs; sit at a desk, utilize hands/fingers and eyes for mouse, keyboard and monitor, to walk to, in and among classrooms, offices, and even outdoors; possibly bending, lifting or carrying small children.
Our Beginning offers a comprehensive benefits package which features:
- A generous paid time off program
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision
- Winter break
- Summer break
- Professional Development training
- Holiday pay
- Short and long term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- No work on observed holidays!
About Our Beginning
Our Beginning is an eco-friendly, Reggio Emilia inspired young children's school. To us, being Reggio Emilia inspired means believing each child who comes through the door is capable and competent, and respecting them as such. We believe in the importance of children leading their own learning, and educators partnering with children to build connected networks of knowledge and understanding. We serve children ages 6 weeks - 6 years of age. Our Beginning's is a strong believer in serving whole plant-based foods to young children.
We are located in Seattle, WA in the Fremont neighborhood.