Media relationships are critical to PETA’s methodology, and the media relations team is a crucial part of PETA’s U.S. and international media campaign strategy. The media relations team develops and maintains relationships with the media, helps develop stories about PETA’s serious work, and sets the approach for the presentation of those stories. The media director will be responsible for leading that team and ensuring its success for PETA.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Research and identify appropriate local and international media outlets for placing coverage of PETA’s critical investigative, scientific, legal, and corporate animal-protection campaigns.
• Pitch PETA’s serious efforts to reporters, editors and producers.
• Oversee the cultivation and maintenance of professional relationships with these selected media outlets
• Train the media relations team in PETA’s unique writing style and publication approach and lead the team in developing powerful, newsworthy stories on the domestic and international levels
• Set the strategy for presenting stories to selected U.S.-based European, U.S., and international media outlets to secure coverage
• In time, develop and oversee a media specialist team in presenting PETA’s critical campaigns to the media. Conduct interviews and hire media specialists for the team, manage and be responsible for the performance of staff, conduct performance evaluations, and assign and supervise work activities
• Degree in a related field
• Demonstrated extensive knowledge of the media industry
• Proven ability to deal with a variety of people in a professional manner
• Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Effective public speaking abilities
• Professional appearance and adherence to a healthy vegan lifestyle
• Willingness and ability to travel
• Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid U.S. driver’s license, a minimum of three years of driving experience, and a satisfactory driving record
• Support for PETA’s philosophy and the ability to advocate PETA’s positions on issues professionally
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization