The Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA) represents over 200 company members including many of the nation’s leading brands. Our mission is to build a solid foundation for the plant-based foods industry to scale and thrive.
The Director of Operations and Administration at the Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA) handles the organization’s operations, manages program infrastructure, and maximizes the organization’s ability to achieve objectives in alignment with the PBFA’s mission. Reporting directly to the CEO and serving as a core member of the Leadership Team, the Director of Operations and Administration is responsible for the development and employment of an operational strategy that meets the evolving needs of a growing organization and industry. The Director will also be responsible for developing and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures for HR, finance, and general operations. This role oversees 1 direct report (Operations Manager). This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned operation professional to play an integral role in the next phase of this high-growth, mission-driven organization.
The Director must demonstrate a high level of leadership, strategic and innovative thinking, and teamwork; and prioritize the building and maintenance of a healthy, inclusive, and equitable workplace culture. The position requires a strong grounding in general operations—including HR, finance, and compliance—to develop policies and procedures that will enhance the efficiency of the organization. The Director is a detail-oriented team player who is able to manage multiple priorities and respond with agility to urgent situations. Excellent communication, listening, project management, and presentation skills are required, as well as a keen understanding of technology and how it facilitates business operations. An appreciation for plant-based foods is a plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Leadership
- Contribute to the development of the PBFA’s strategic goals and objectives, as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Design a framework to implement organizational strategy into operations.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO informed of all critical issues.
- Represent the organization externally, particularly in banking and benefits realms.
- Liaise directly with the Board of Directors and effectively communicate and present operational matters at select Board of
- Directors meetings.
- Develop and implement department budget.
Operations & Administration
- Upgrade and oversee the implementation of a system of policies, internal controls, and procedures.
- Oversee compliance; ensure the business, employees, and projects comply with all relevant regulations and specifications; and prepare an annual audit.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, 403b plan, grant payment processing, payroll, and accounts payable.
- Oversee external IT consulting.
- Develop and implement policies for all areas of business, including employees, contractors, and vendors.
- Prioritize and advance workplace DEI practices and initiatives.
- Organize monthly all-staff meetings to connect, inform, and share.
- Support the CEO in high-level meetings such as Board of Directors and external high stakeholder meetings, including agenda development, presentation development, and logistics.
- Lead in the planning, development, and implementation of policies, processes, initiatives, and training to support the PBFA’s
- HR compliance and strategy needs.
- Oversee the administration of HR programs, including, but not limited to: Hiring and onboarding, culture initiatives, employee benefits and leaves, compensation and salary benchmarking, disciplinary matters, and disputes.
- Employ a performance review system that includes career development and general support of the team.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, HR regulatory changes, talent management, and employment law; and apply this to policy and practice.
- Support the CEO in planning the annual budget process, and lead in its coordination and implementation.
- Coordinate monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization’s financial performance against budget, financial, and operational goals.
- Oversee audit and tax functions.
- Advise on the management and mitigation of risk.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- At least five years of operations management/leadership experience required.
- Demonstrated success in a senior operational management role—leading advancement efforts, executing plans and systems, and achieving goals for a high-growth organization preferred.
- Experience as an employee or member of a nonprofit organization preferred, as is familiarity with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations.
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Strong mentoring and coaching experience with teams with diverse levels of expertise.
- Ability to multitask and be an entrepreneurial team player.
- Superior management skills with demonstrated ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills; and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Board of Directors, and staff.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, proactive, results-driven, and detail-oriented; a team leader who can positively impact strategic, operations, and administration initiatives.
- Responsible, and self-driven. Able to thrive in a highly independent environment, and ready to be a contributing member of a small but passionate and quickly evolving team.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactician and strategic thinker.
- Successful remote workplace experience a plus.
This is a full-time position. Must be able and willing to work remotely.
Salary: $90,000-$95,000; benefits include healthcare, retirement, plus PTO.
PBFA is actively committed to creating a diverse environment, and culture of inclusion where all team members feel valued and can contribute their experiences and perspectives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, PBFA does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class. For more info about PBFA, visit plantbasedfoods.org.
Applications will be reviewed beginning October 2021. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
About PLANT BASED FOODS ASSOCIATION
Representing the nation’s leading plant-based food companies, PBFA works to build a strong foundation for the plant-based foods industry to succeed and thrive.