The Plant Based Foods Institute (PBFI) works to create a plant-based food system that benefits people, the planet, and animals. Our sister organization, the Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA), represents over 220 company members including many of the nation’s leading plant-based brands. PBFA’s mission is to champion, strengthen, and elevate our members and the plant-based foods industry.
By serving members’ interests through the Plant Based Foods Association, and by identifying and disseminating impactful solutions through the Plant Based Foods Institute, we empower the plant-based foods industry to drive food system transformation. The two organizations convene and collaborate with our membership, partners, and stakeholder groups to increase the availability and accessibility of plant-based foods, and promote a transition in agricultural practices.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Policy, the Nutrition Consultant will conduct nutrition policy research, analysis, and advocacy to advance PBFI’s nutrition policy initiatives through a collaborative process with PBFI’s policy team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the development of PBFI’s strategy and activities to expand inclusion of plant-based foods in the 2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA).
- Assist in the development of strategy to reframe nutrition policy from 1-1 substitutions of plant-based for animal-based foods to recognition that diets are comprised of foods consumed throughout the day.
- Interact with nutrition staff at PBFA member companies to understand and promote their interests.
- Conduct outreach within the nutrition community and related NGOs to build a coalition supporting expansion of plant-based diets in the DGA.
- Draft documents, including policy papers, testimony, advocacy materials, and rulemaking comments relating to programs and policies relevant to plant-based nutrition.
- Assist in the production of communications materials, write for the PBFI blog, and assist with social media.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- An understanding and passion for nutrition and plant-based diets.
- Knowledge and familiarity with nutrition policy, the Dietary Guidelines development process, and the legislative and administrative policy processes.
- A minimum of 5 years of public health or nutrition policy experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
This role is for a fixed-term 6-month contract, with a possibility for an extension. PBFI is actively committed to creating a diverse environment, and culture of inclusion where all consultants and team members feel valued and can contribute their experiences and perspectives. PBFI does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
About Plant Based Foods Association
Representing the nation’s leading plant-based food companies, PBFA works to build a strong foundation for the plant-based foods industry to succeed and thrive.