The Plant Based Foods Institute (PBFI) works to create a plant-based food system that benefits people, the planet, and animals. Our sister organization, the Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA), represents over 220 company members including many of the nation’s leading plant-based brands. PBFA’s mission is to champion, strengthen, and elevate our members and the plant-based foods industry.
By serving members’ interests through the Plant Based Foods Association, and by identifying and disseminating impactful solutions through the Plant Based Foods Institute, we empower the plant-based foods industry to drive food system transformation. The two organizations convene and collaborate with our membership, partners, and stakeholder groups to increase the availability and accessibility of plant-based foods, and promote a transition in agricultural practices.
The School Foods Consultant will conduct policy research, analysis, and advocacy to expand the availability of plant-based foods in schools and other federal nutrition programs. Reporting to the Senior Director of Policy, the Policy Associate will advance policy initiatives through a collaborative process with PBFA’s policy team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the development of PBFI’s strategy and activities to expand purchases of plant-based products in USDA and other Federal nutrition programs, with a priority on school foods.
- Prepare a report for plant-based food companies on the opportunities and challenges to incorporating plant-based foods in school food programs.
- Interact with USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) to resolve technical barriers to plant-based product purchases.
- Provide guidance to PBFA member companies about accessing Federal nutrition programs.
- Interact with nutrition and regulatory staff at PBFA member companies to understand and promote their interests.
- Draft documents, including policy papers, testimony, advocacy materials, and rulemaking comments relating to programs and policies relevant to plant-based foods procurement.
- Assist in the production of communications materials, write for the PBFI blog, and assist with social media.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- An understanding and passion for child nutrition and plant-based diets.
- Knowledge and familiarity with nutrition policy, government food and nutrition programs, school foods federal and state legislation and regulations, school foods procurement processes, and administrative policy processes.
- A minimum of 5 years public health or nutrition policy experience.
- Experience working with FNS, food companies serving the school foods market, school districts, or school food distributors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
This role is for a fixed-term 6-month contract, with a possibility for an extension. PBFI is actively committed to creating a diverse environment, and culture of inclusion where all consultants and team members feel valued and can contribute their experiences and perspectives. PBFI does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class
About Plant Based Foods Association
Representing the nation’s leading plant-based food companies, PBFA works to build a strong foundation for the plant-based foods industry to succeed and thrive.