Plant Powered Metro New York (PPMNY) was founded in March 2019 to guide and grow the local movement for vibrant health through whole food, plant-based (WFPB) nutrition.
The Network Design & Media Associate, a part-time role, will work closely with PPMNY’s Network Communications Manager and Network Director to implement essential communications functions that advance PPMNY’s brand integrity and community exposure on multiple platforms. This role will primarily be responsible for design and event publicity for PPMNY’s programming, as well as design-heavy social media management, alongside traditional media engagement.
- Creating attractive print and virtual flyer/banner layouts, consistent with our organizational values, for use in our general marketing collateral and event-specific publicity.
- Collecting photos, videos, and other visuals from our programming to augment our ability to tell our story through social media, email communications, and our website.
- Creating professional and brand-consistent layouts for all PPMNY program materials, including slide decks, handouts, and virtual program packets.
- Setting up the layout and design for our weekly metro-wide e-newsletters and additional emails as determined by PPMNY leadership, through the NeonCRM platform.
- Designing our visual presence and contributing to our virtual community on Instagram and Facebook, which includes: a) Developing graphic designs and topics for regular Instagram and Facebook posts, and keeping our stories and highlights engaging and up-to-date, b) Fostering new and existing relationships on Instagram and Facebook by responding to and engaging with audiences in a timely manner and with accurate information, and c) Collaborating with our communications team on creative ideas for engaging social media content.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of a targeted media strategy that engages journalists and influencers in our work, including writing and distributing press releases, building relationships with key players, and planning creative uses of media.
- Designing and maintaining an up-to-date press kit.
- Maintaining organized communications files in Google Drive and Canva for institutional memory.
- Creating graphic design elements and providing input on the design and user-friendliness of the website
- Participating in bi-monthly staff meetings and monthly team calls.
Qualifications of the ideal candidate:
- Solid communication skills, including attention to detail, graphic design sensibility, proofreading skills, and focus on brand integrity
- Able to work professionally with all PPMNY volunteers and program partners
- Able to thrive in a remote, start-up, and volunteer-centric work environment
- Highly reliable and able to prioritize tasks effectively
- Savvy with technology tools including email marketing systems, graphic design software, social media, and more, and willingness to learn. Experience with Canva preferred but not required.
- Passionate about the role of nutrition in health, or willing to learn
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred but not required
This position is available starting August 2, 2021 and will report to Holly Hatfield-Patel, Network Communications Manager of PPMNY.
Compensation: This is an hourly, 20 hour/week position, compensated at $27/hour. Benefits include a flexible work schedule and a virtual home office stipend of $400 after three months of employment.
To Apply: Please submit a brief statement of interest, a resume detailing relevant experience, and design samples.
About Plant Powered Metro New York
Plant Powered Metro New York empowers people to find better health and overcome chronic disease through whole food, plant-based nutrition. We offer evidence-based education, resources, and support to create community and inspire change throughout the New York metropolitan area. Our community-driven movement connects individuals, groups, and organizations in a strong network advancing the power of a healthy, plant-based lifestyle. Together, we:
- Raise awareness about the dramatic health benefits of WFPB nutrition.
- Build supportive communities that empower people to make lifestyle changes.
- Organize and lead projects that spark changes to food policy, practice, and culture