Are you passionate about a plant-based lifestyle? Do you want to use your expertise in PR, social media and general communications to advance the plant-based message in South Africa, and make a real difference for animals, our health, society and the planet? Does the prospect of joining and contributing to a global pro-vegan organisation excite you? If so, then come join the team at ProVeg.
ProVeg South Africa is looking for an experienced communications professional to help us to get our message to a mainstream audience in South Africa. With a focus on PR and social media, the communications manager would be responsible for our external and internal communications strategies, and would work closely with ProVeg International to ensure our local messaging is aligned with with our global vision and mission.
As we are a small, dynamic team, there is some flexibility in this role regarding the exact job description. The main focus of this role is obtaining PR for the vegan movement and ProVeg.
- Creation and implementation of ProVeg South Africa’s communications strategies, including, but not limited:
PR; creating and managing relationships with media, writing press releases, working with our events manager on PR events.
- Social media; managing, and growing our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts, including content creation
Newsletter; managing monthly newsletter.
- Website; working together with ProVeg International to manage the local content on the ProVeg SA website.
Generating and finding content for the Proveg blog.
- Maintaining content schedules for all communications platforms.
- Obtaining PR and social media exposure for our events and campaigns.
- Managing relationships with online ProVeg Ambassadors.
- Managing communications volunteers, and growing the communications volunteer team.
- Mentoring and managing a communications intern.
- Monthly internal reporting on key communications targets and performance, and ad hoc external reporting to donors, sponsors and other stakeholders.
- Liaising with the Events Manager to ensure that events are appropriately advertised, and that during and post-event marketing is implemented.
- Communications budget management.
- Communications, PR, marketing or branding related qualification.
- Minimum of two years formal PR experience.
- Excellent, professional language skills – written and spoken English
- Excellent project management skills
- Alignment with the goals and values of ProVeg
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills
- An outgoing and confident personality, able to network effectively and represent ProVeg at events
- Have a strong work ethic and work well independently
- Be a great team player
- Own transport and cell phone is needed
- South African ID or valid work permit if not South African
- Based in Cape Town
- Established connections with local media
- Experience working in an NPO environment
- Experience working in a field relating to veganism, health, environment, animal rights/welfare or food
- Fluent in additional official South African languages
- Fundraising experience
- Sales and marketing experience
- Experience with MailChimp
- Salary dependent upon experience and qualification
- Flexibility around working arrangements
- We are a workplace that encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are an inclusive workplace for our diverse employees around the world
- Weekly lunchtime yoga session at Yo Yoga
- And last but not least: Become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals and our planet
Application deadline: 14 April 2019
Phone interviews: 15 – 19 April 2019
Face to face interviews: 22 – 26 April 2019
Start date: As soon as possible, May/ June 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Your application should include a cover letter, CV and references. Please tell us how you found this job ad! Please send us your application using our online form. (https://proveg.com/jobs/) Thank you!
The upcoming steps include:
- General online assessment
- Job-specific online trial tasks
- Phone interview with HR
- Personal interview with the Country Director and Project Manager
- Optional: “trial day” at the Cape Town office
- The final decision may need an extra interview with the International Director
About ProVeg South Africa
ProVeg is a food awareness organisation with the mission to reduce global animal consumption by 50% by the year 2040. We are active in eight countries across four continents and are growing rapidly. We work with governments, private companies, public institutions, medical professionals, and the public to help the world transition to a more plant-based society and economy that is sustainable for humans, animals, and our planet.
We base our strategy on empirically-based evidence whenever possible. We seek to stay abreast of the latest research to inform our strategic considerations and outreach materials. We evaluate all of our programs to make sure we are allocating our resources in the best way to reach our goal.
ProVeg fosters a culture in which challenges become opportunities to learn through constructive feedback. Changing the global food system is a big task, and we seek out team members who think outside the box. Creative thinking and critical problem-solving skills are vital to accomplishing our ambitious goals. We believe that an organisation that includes all types of voices is a more effective organisation.
ProVeg is committed to equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, refugee background, genetic information, disability, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, HIV status, gender identity, or gender expression. People of colour, women, people with disabilities, people from LGBTQIA+ communities, elderly people, refugees and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.