ProVeg has prioritized the food industry as one of our main focus areas within the theory of change model to achieve our vision of a world where everyone chooses healthy and delicious food that is good for all people, animals and the planet.
By 2025, ProVeg’s goals are to:
Increase the proportion of people eating less or no animal foods (stimulate demand)
Influence retailers, the food industry, public institutions, companies, policy and relevant decision-makers to offer more plant-based products and other alternatives to animal products and decrease any animal products on offer (change supply)
Influence policy-makers and other relevant stakeholders to create a fit-for-purpose regulatory, socio-economic and educational environment to enable a significant global transition towards a sustainable plant-based and cultivated meat, eggs, dairy and seafood marketplace
Influence investors, the food science and related research community, and other relevant stakeholders to increase investment and research funds for research and development, and promotion/upscaling of sustainable plant-based products and cultivated meat, eggs, dairy and seafood.
The scope of the International Head of Food Industry & Retail includes leading the food industry & retail work of ProVeg to influence the availability and quality of plant-based products. This role will provide inspirational leadership of a highly motivated small team and effective coordination with different ProVeg departments and countries. The post holder will build on and expand a diverse external network, engaging in strategically important relationships within the food industry. This will include representing ProVeg and the Corporate Engagement team through delivering insights at speaker engagements and interviews.
1. Lead the Food Industry & Retail teamRepresenting ProVeg internally and externally
Guiding and inspiring the team to achieve ProVeg’s vision and objectives
- Overseeing the EU Smart Protein project and supporting the team members
- Planning and budgeting, setting up processes, organizing and staffing, problem solving, analyzing results
- Managing workflows and priorities
- Developing the team members’ skills and potential, and assuring staff satisfaction and team effectiveness
- Supporting internal communication and coordination between teams in regards to food industry matters
- Working closely with the ProVeg International Country Directors and Corporate Engagement staff to support the growth of plant-based and cultivated food on a global scale.
- Working with fundraising and other colleagues to develop integrated income generation approaches to corporate engagement, and actively pursue opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and corporate giving.
2. Lead the creation of the department’s strategy and ensuring effective implementation and impact measurement
- Smoothly navigating a bottom-up and top-down strategy development process while shaping organizational and corporate engagement strategies
- Aligning with other departments and ProVeg countries to most effectively utilize resources and internal knowledge
- Collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact Manager to assess effectiveness and impact
3. Establish and maintain connections with, and educate strategically important private sector entities on the future of plant-based and cultivated food, including international companies and brands, and retailers
- Expanding ProVeg’s business network and engaging with key strategic partners that help us to achieve our goals, by speaking at or attending events (fairs, conferences or other fora)
- Engaging in and supporting in the delivery of our most impactful consultancies
- Building a list of high-priority global companies and conducting proactive outreach to these companies to make the case for producing, investing in, or otherwise participating in the market for alternative proteins.
- Overseeing the implementation and dissemination of relevant consumer and market research on plant-based and cultivated food with startups, investors, and corporations.
4. Raise the profile of ProVeg and influence the influencers in the food industry
- Delivering compelling presentations to inspire food industry actors to transition to more and better plant-based products
- Providing thought leadership and insights/expertise on plant-based sector developments for B2B and B2C media
About ProVeg International
Benefits of working with us
What we offer
- A strong organisational focus on personal development with a designated training budget.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- And last but not least: become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals, and the planet.
- Reports to: International Director
- Department: Food Industry & Retail International
- Location: Berlin, Germany or remote
- Hours: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: 10th January 2021
Phone interviews: 11th - 15th of January 2021
Face-to-face interviews: 25th - 29th of January 2021
Start date: mid-February - March 2021
Our Application Procedure
Your application should include a cover letter and CV. Please tell us how you found this job ad! Please send us your application using our online form. (https://proveg.com/jobs/) Thank you!
If you have successfully made it to the long-list, we will invite you to complete an online trial task. Following the successful shortlisting, the next steps would be:
- A phone interview
- A personal interview
- If applicable an optional “trial day”, that includes the handling of tasks that are typical for the role you are applying for. If you are not from Berlin you may do these tasks at home. This step helps us to get to know you and your way of working better and gives you a chance to get a full picture of the job and us
- The final decision may require an additional interview, usually with Senior Management
ProVeg is an international food awareness organisation working to transform the global food system by replacing conventional animal products with plant-based and cultivated alternatives. ProVeg works with companies, governments, public institutions, medical professionals, the media, and the public to help the world transition to a society and economy that are less dependent on animal agriculture and more sustainable for humans, animals, and our planet.
We base our strategy on empirically-based evidence whenever possible. We seek to stay abreast of the latest research to inform our strategic considerations and outreach materials. We evaluate all of our programs to make sure we are allocating our resources in the best way to reach our goal.
ProVeg fosters a culture in which challenges become opportunities to learn and thrive. Because changing the global food system is a huge undertaking, we are looking for new team members who are pragmatic and professional and who are willing to step out of their comfort zone when needed. Critical problem-solving skills, team spirit, and creativity are all vital to accomplishing our ambitious goals.
DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) Statement
ProVeg is committed to assessing applicants equitably, regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, refugee background, genetic information, neurodiversity, disability, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, HIV status, gender identity, or gender expression. People of colour, women, people with disabilities, people from LGBTQIA+ communities, elderly people, refugees and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.