ProVeg has offices in nine countries on four continents, including in China, South Africa, and the US, and in Europe in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium (soon), Czechia and Poland, as well as a programme in Spain and the UK.
ProVeg is a founding member of the European Alliance for Plant-based Food (EAPF) and one of the largest European Vegetarian Union’s (EVU) members. ProVeg and the EVU advocate to increase the production and consumption of plant-based foods and other alternatives to animal products. This is done through improving the level playing field for plant-based and alternative foods, increasing policy incentives and EU research budgets for these sectors, improving consumer information related to plant-based and alternative proteins, supporting sustainability initiatives, as well as removing barriers that impede the availability and affordability of plant-based and alternative products to animal foods.
About the EU Policy Manager role
The EU Policy Manager is a new position responsible for building on and expanding the European policy and public affairs environment to ensure that the strategic and operational plans support ProVeg’s objectives.
The EU Policy Manager will develop and promote policies and outreach plans that enable the growth of the plant-based and cultured food industry and reduce animal consumption, and influence relevant agriculture, consumer, environmental and health agendas primarily at EU level. The position works with plant-based alliances, such as the EAPF, and other relevant partners.
Job title: EU Policy Manager
Reporting to: Director of Communications
Key Relationships: Internal: Policy Manager DE and NL, and relevant advocacy colleagues in the UK, PL, CZ, and BE., External: EVU, EAPF, food industry representatives, EU decision-makers
Location: Remote (ideally BE, NL, DE, PL, CZ, ES or UK), within 1-day public transport travel distance from Brussels
Hours: Full-time (40h); part-time options will be considered
Salary: Dependent on location and experience (€37k ─ €43k)
- Lead public-facing policy campaigns to promote food system change and enhance the position of plant-based foods and other alternatives to animal products
- Develop policy briefs and recommendations, provide evidence to guide policymakers’ decisions and arrange meetings with relevant stakeholders
- Advocate for the strongest (regulatory) environment possible for plant-based and cultured food research and development
- Ensure sustainable food production and consumption feature prominently in public health and environmental policy
- Collaborate with and support EVU advocacy efforts at a national level
Influence/contribute to better food policy on a global scale, e.g. UN fora (minimal involvement).
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in International Studies, Politics, Law, Public Affairs or similar.
- Demonstrable experience of developing policy outputs and track record of the social sector, food or environment advocacy plans that effect change (minimum of three years).
- Experience of providing high-level strategic advice to senior colleagues and decision-makers on complex policy issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and diplomacy skills
- In-depth understanding of EU policy institutions, processes and agendas.
- Strong experience of interacting with government officials, policy-makers and agencies. Experience of interacting with external stakeholder groups to advance policy goals.
- Fluent verbal and written English language skills.
- Understanding of the current environmental and or food industry (production, consumption, marketing, retail etc.) agenda in the EU.
- Experience of the NGO sector
- Experience of leading and managing a diverse/remote team.
- Understanding of performance metrics and KPIs to track policy and public engagement progress
- Experience in planning and implementing campaigns, and/or media/PR experience
- Proficiency/fluency in additional languages, such as French, Spanish, Italian, German, or Polish
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
About ProVeg International
Benefits of working with us
- Salary: dependent on experience and qualification.
- Flexible, trust-based working arrangements and home office arrangements.
- And last but not least: become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals, and our planet!
Application deadline: 3 Apr 2022
Phone interviews: Beginning of April 2022
Second interviews: Mid - end April 2022
Start date: ideally May 2022
Please send your CV and a cover letter via or application form. Your cover letter should detail the following:
- Why you are interested in applying for this post
- How your skills/knowledge/experience meet the requirements of the person specification