The Research and Science Department is largely responsible for ProVeg being a data-focused, science-driven organisation. As a service hub for all countries and departments, the Research and Science team provides the organisation with important information and ensures the scientific quality of the materials targeted at various audiences. In the future, ProVeg would like to communicate its scientific expertise even more externally, and we are looking for an experienced research manager and science communicator. As Head of Research and Science you will be responsible for leading a small team of outstanding experts, and acting as the department’s spokesperson internally and externally. You thrive in an environment where you set the strategic direction, work collaboratively with the team and the wider organisation, and enjoy hands-on research and outreach.
- Reports to: International Director and Special Advisor to the Presiden
- Department: Research and Science
- Location: Remote work or working from one of our ProVeg offices
- Hours: 32-40 h per week
- Create a strategy for the Research and Science department that is in line with and supports ProVeg’s wider strategy, especially with a focus on science communication
- Ensure that the organisation’s leadership and programme managers are provided with all relevant information related to the food system that is important to achieving organizational goals and objectives, including but not limited to the following sectors:
- Agriculture and farming, food production, macro-economic and agricultural policy, and related domains
- Consumption, human behaviour change, nudging, consumer preferences, and similar areas
- Food industry: manufacturing, innovation, technology, foodstuffs and ingredients (e.g. processing), etc.
- Food (system) sustainability, environmental and other impacts, trade, finance, etc.
- Food system transformation, food justice and transition narratives
- Health and nutrition
- Other relevant research areas
- Create a communication concept that promotes ProVeg’s expertise and general developments in relevant sectors externally and supports external stakeholders such as partner organisations, business partners and others in transforming the food system
- Oversee, together with the Global Head of Communications, the creation of informative newsletters, short reports and regular soundbites of topical information, including a dissemination strategy to ensure widespread reach and engagement with relevant audiences
Management & Leadership
- Lead a team of three specialists including establishing annual objectives, provide regular feedback and appropriate recognition, conduct annual performance reviews and support ongoing professional development
- Serve as a member of the global leadership team with responsibility for the success of ProVeg’s overall strategy, scientific strength and inclusive organizational culture.
- Responsible for the Research department budget
- Clear commitment to the mission, vision, values and goals of ProVeg
- A strong working knowledge of food system transformation and its implications across societal sectors and relevant fields
- 5 years in leading positions in the field of science communication
- Project and team management experience
- Ability to translate complex scientific concepts and results into easy to understand content
- Data analysis, visualisation and presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, C2 level English language skills.
- Strong leadership skills with the highest level of integrity, quality, collaboration, and authenticity.
- Proven organisational abilities including planning, delegating and strategic program development.
- Relevant Master degree
- Published academic or popular scientific articles
- Willingness to travel to conferences and relevant stakeholder meetings
- Solid quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills
- Experience with the EU research agenda (or USDA or similar major national or regional research environment)
Benefits of working with us
- Strong organisational focus on personal development and designated training budget
- Flexibility around working arrangements
- And last but not least: Become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals, and our planet
- Application deadline: 31.01.2023
- Start date: as soon as possible
ProVeg is committed to equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, refugee background, genetic information, disability, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, HIV status, gender identity, or gender expression. People of colour, women, people with disabilities, people from LGBTQIA+ communities, elderly people, refugees and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our Application Procedure
Your application should include a cover letter, a CV and work certificates. Please tell us how you found this job ad! Please send us your application using our online form. (https://proveg.com/jobs/) Thank you!
The upcoming steps include:
- Online test
- Online trial tasks
- A first phone interview
- A personal interview and an optional “trial day”, that includes the handling of tasks that are typical for the role you are applying for. If you are not from Berlin you can do this tasks at home. That helps us to get to know you and your way of working better, and gives you a chance to get a full picture of the job and us
- The final decision may need an extra interview