PSVA is a small organisation and the General Manager would have a wide scope of responsibilities. We are looking for an ambitious General Manager who will take overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations and administration of PVSA, helping to ensure we are both an effective organisation, and a great place to work.
In this position, you will set and enforce policies, oversee project management, ensure the organisation is compliant in all financial, legal and governance matters. You will also be expected to coordinate employees and supervise, lead and inspire junior managers.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a planning and administrative role, have great communication skills, be competent in prioritising and working with little supervision. They will be self-motivated and trustworthy and have impeccable attention to detail.
- Reports to: Director, ProVeg South Africa
- Location: Cape Town, Pinelands or remote
- Hours: 40h/week
- Salary: R26k-R42k/month total cost to company, depending on qualifications and experience.
- Contract type: Permanent
- Coordinate operations (Finance, HR, Project Management) to ensure efficiency, and compliance with PVSA policies and ProVeg International guidelines.
- Develop and implement improvements to policies and or procedures to maximise the efficiency of the organisation’s operations.
Support to the Director:
- Manage PVSA info mailbox
- Identify and manage tasks, including identifying internal and external requests for input/consultation and assigning these to the relevant team member or department, and keeping track of these tasks
- Submit timely reports and prepare presentations/proposals as assigned
- Taking meeting minutes, drafting memos, diary management and related executive support tasks.
Finance & Secretarial Support:
- Monthly correspondence with accountants to ensure accounting records are accurate and compliant, and that Annual Financial Statements are drafted and signed off.
- Quarterly financial reporting to ProVeg International
- Online banking
- Supporting the outsourced payroll function by providing monthly employee updates
- Ensure all CIPC and other statutory compliance is kept up to date
- Issuing S18A tax certificates to donors
- Maintaining fixed asset, stock and merchandise register
- Support the recruiting, onboarding, and offboarding of employees
- Create and update records and databases with personnel data
- Maintain leave register and other basic HR procedures
Project Management and Leadership:
- Provide support and guidance for 3-5 employees
- Undertake regular employee reviews and create personal development plans for 3-5 employees
- Implement project management policies to ensure the smooth running of the organisation’s operations, including leading daily team check-ins
- Where relevant, support external contact and relationship management
Required (please do not apply if you do not have all of the requirements)
- Alignment with ProVeg International’s vision and mission. Familiarity with the vision is essential and alignment must be demonstrated in the application.
- Relevant degree and a minimum of 5 years proven experience as an office manager, general manager, projects manager, or relevant related role, ORA minimum of 8 years proven experience as an office manager, general manager, projects manager, or relevant related role.
- Assertive personality, and experience in ensuring adherence to organisational policies and procedures
- Demonstrable understanding of financial, legal and governance compliance needs for an NGO in South Africa
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with office management procedures
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritise them according to deadlines
- Willingness and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, small yet rapidly growing nonprofit work environment.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback in a timely manner to oneself and team members that contributes to individual and organisational growth. Actively seeks feedback and proactively communicates to cultivate a positive, productive and solution-focused work environment.
- Excellent ability to work with Google Suite or MS Office and project management software.
- South African citizen, or valid work permit to work in South Africa
Preferred (Candidates would need to have at least half of the following preferred requirements)
Accounting and bookkeeping experience
Experience with CIPC compliance.
Experience in running or supporting the HR function for an organisation
Experience working in fields relating to food, animals, health or the environment.
Experience with any of the following software: Personio, Google Suit, Wrike, Slack
Fluency in additional South African Languages
Knowledge of legal procedures relating to government regulations relating to food, animals, health or the environment.
BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH US
- A strong organisational focus on personal development.
- Flexible working hours.
- Retirement and Medical Aid (optional).
- Become part of a great team and work with us to create a world in which everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all people, animals, and our planet.
Application deadline: open until filled
ProVeg is committed to equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, refugee background, genetic information, disability, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, HIV status, gender identity, or gender expression. People of colour, minorities, women, people of all genders, people with disabilities, people from LGBTQIA+ communities, people of all age groups, and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our Application Procedure
Please send us your application documents (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, and references) using the application form. In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
– In what ways are you aligned in ProVeg International’s vision and mission and why does this job appeal to you
– Describe your experience with managing teams and providing guidance for employees
– Describe your experience with setting and enforcing organisational policies and procedures
– Describe the level of your bookkeeping/accounting experience
– Please indicate your ability to travel daily to an office in Pinelands, Cape Town
The next steps in the application process include:
- A general online assessment
- A first interview with the People and Culture team
- Job-specific online trial assignments
- An online interview with the Director of ProVeg South Africa and CEO of ProVeg International
About ProVeg South Africa
ProVeg South Africa (PVSA) is the local affiliate office of ProVeg International, a food awareness organisation working to transform the global food system by replacing animal-based products with plant-based and cultivated alternatives. We work with decision-making bodies, companies, investors, the media, and the general public to help the world transition to a society and economy that are less reliant on animal agriculture and more sustainable for all humans, animals, and our planet.