Shannon Scott Design is an ethical and sustainably focused interior design build and project management studio based in Santa Barbara, California. We are currently seeking a highly organized and adaptable Managing Director, with at least 5-7 years of experience in managing the business side of a high-end residential and hospitality design studio.
Our studio provides a full-service design approach, that prioritizes collaboration, communication, and exceptional project management. We are looking for an individual who aligns with our vegan values, along with our commitment to creating beautiful, well thought out spaces, to join our close knit and dynamic team.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Managing Director works closely and collaboratively with the Principal, managing the day to day operations and organization of the studio, and overseeing the administrative and logistical matters of our projects from initial budgetary planning to completion. This role is the right hand support for the Principal, ensuring the business operates smoothly in partnership with the design efforts.
As part of our small but busy team, you must be comfortable wearing many hats and fully functioning in several roles simultaneously. You must be able to work well independently and possess a strong ability to self-manage, as well as lead others.
The ability to facilitate a positive working environment is essential. Meticulous and intentional communication skills, both written and verbal, are critical. Careful attention to detail is required at every stage of our design and management processes and systems.
You will manage studio and team schedules and task lists and help to keep things moving forward amongst quickly shifting priorities and goals. Quick problem-solving skills, and an ability to forecast issues before they arise, will help you to thrive in this atmosphere.
In this role you will:
· Prepare project scope and fee proposals, contracts, and consultant agreements
· Onboard new clients, set process and experience expectations, develop and nurture positive ongoing client relationships
· Prepare, communicate, and monitor project work plans, budgets, and deliverables for clients and internal team
· Maintain and monitor teams, resources, and schedules to meet deadlines, milestones, commitments, and ensure top profitability
· Oversee design deliverables to ensure design objectives are met and studio brand and level of quality is maintained
· Interact regularly with clients and external partners (IT, professional consultants, architects, contractors, etc.), and therefore must be courteous, discreet, and professional
· Review and submit client billings and procurement proposals, responding to inquiries, and performing AR procedures
· Work closely with vendors to build meaningful professional relationships
· Assist with procurement and coordinate furnishing installations
· Develop and implement internal systematized process – initiatives, standards, policies, and procedures, improving processes and updating documentation
· Collaborate with financial, administrative, and marketing teams
· Contribute to studio and brand development goals and strategies
· Train, mentor, and supervise team members
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
· 5+ years in luxury residential and hospitality interior design with an interior architecture focus – at least 2-3 years in a business management position
· Degree in Interior Design, Interior Architecture, or a closely related field
· Business management experience – resource management, risk management, project management, client expectation management, and client interaction
· Expertise in interior design project management, with outstanding organizational skills, high attention to detail, and the ability to oversee multiple projects across various phases
· Advanced knowledge of interiors and architectural/construction building materials and finishes, building systems, methods and processes of construction, specifications, current and applicable building, fire, and safety codes (including textiles, furnishings, and finishes), ADA compliance, design and detailing standards and construction techniques, and custom millwork design
· Advanced knowledge of interior architecture and architectural design, including design concept development (residential and hospitality), space planning, and ability to read and understand architectural/construction plans
· Strong experience in FF&E and materials selection, specifications, and procurement
· Highly organized with very strong attention to detail and accuracy is a must
· Fluency in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and Chief Architect preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
· Financial experience a plus
· Working knowledge of Studio Designer and Asana is desired
· Extremely professional, reliable, punctual, and committed to a strong work ethic
· A valid Driver’s License, insurance, and reliable vehicle
$72,000-84,000 per year, based on professional qualifications and experience. Full-time position. Our benefits include paid end of year time off, paid holidays, health insurance, and matching retirement plan.
SSD offers a pleasant working environment, in a beautiful studio, with an innovative and collaborative team. This is an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional Managing Director who wants a stable, full-time, and long-term position, with an evolving studio and brand.
Technical skills and seasoned experience in the interior design and construction industry are a must for this position. Qualified candidates should submit the following:
Cover letter with salary requirements, resume, 3 professional references, and a single PDF with 10 inspiration images that inspire you and speak to your design sense. In an effort to help us manage this process, please do not call, or contact us in any way other than as noted.
About Shannon Scott Design
SHANNON SCOTT DESIGN is a multidisciplinary design studio focused on intentional luxury design. With an eye toward high impact interiors masterfully balanced with a light environmental footprint, our projects consistently showcase finely tailored spaces meticulously crafted for a sophisticated and thoughtful clientele.
Our studio is located in beautiful Santa Barbara, where sky meets mountains, nature drives the experience of healthy living, and the stunning vistas promise adventure. We are informed by the Cherokee saying: “One cannot have a true sense of self without simultaneously having a true sense of place,” and believe that by honoring the land upon which the built environment is created, we can harmonize nature into designs that increase our clients’ wellbeing. Through our intentional design process, we create beautiful, iconic, and transformational environments while mindfully specifying durable, exquisite materials focused on sustainable and cruelty-free sourcing.
Every space tells a story.™ Exquisitely conceived design concepts, decades of collective experience, and a dedication to a compassionate, intentional design paradigm, transforms each of our client’s interiors into a space that tells a profound and wholly unique story.
- Interior & Exterior Design
- Sustainable, Vegan & Cruelty-Free Design
- Project Management
- Interior Design Construction Documents
- FF&E Procurement & Installation