Since 2013, Tamerlaine Sanctuary has been a paradise for previously neglected and abused farmed animals. Our sanctuary sits on 336-acres of pristine and preserved farmland—the perfect home to serve and expand our mission of rescuing farmed animals and preserving native wildlife. We are looking for a full-time Animal Caregiver to be a part of our growing sanctuary and help care for our more than 250 resident animals. This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing team while providing quality animal care to Tamerlaine’s beloved residents.
Seeking a highly motivated, dedicated individual, interested in joining the Animal Care Operations at our facility. This position involves vigorous and sustained indoor and outdoor work, in all weather conditions, caring for residents at the sanctuary. Caregivers must be flexible to work Monday – Sunday and opening/closing shifts depending on weekly schedule. You will work with like-minded individuals who are committed to the highest care and well-being of our rescued animals.
- Must have minimum of 2 years’ experience in animal care, preferably with farm animals, at a sanctuary, or at a veterinary office
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to take instruction on how to care for animals
- Able to oversee volunteers
- Able to prioritize effectively
- Must be very reliable and dependable
- Able to understand and follow medical directions
- Excellent animal behavior observation skills
- Excellent research skills
- Must be able to think outside the box and treat all animals on an individual level
- Able to work effectively and compassionately with all personality types
- Able to keep cool in medical emergencies
- Able to work in all weather conditions and be able to perform strenuous tasks
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Able to participate in a variety of organizational programs to better the welfare of our animals
- Must be a team player who is able to monitor and report on all shelter staff duties
- Have a commitment to Tamerlaine Farm’s animal care policies
- Must be Passionate about animal welfare
- Able to handle emotional situations dealing with animals
- Must live a vegan lifestyle while on the farm
- Interest in growing with a small sanctuary and helping to expand our animal caretaking operations
- All animal care operations
- Daily animal heath care and treatments
- Documenting all animal health care checks, treatments, vaccinations, worming, medical histories, etc.
- Barn and habitat cleaning and enrichment
- Perform treatments and therapies for special care animals
- Travel with animals to veterinary appointments
- The opportunity to join a growing program from the ground up
- Helping a new sanctuary become a home to future generations of animals
- Gain experience as an animal caregiver
- Great work culture–positive, inclusive, and fun
- Medical, dental, vision and 401K available to full-time employees
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in animal care, preferably with farm animals, either at a sanctuary or as a vet tech. Willing to train the right individual.
- Must live within 30 minutes of Montague, NJ, and have a valid driver’s license.
- Must submit a resume for consideration.
Job Type: Full-time
About Tamerlaine Sanctuary & Preserve
We are a vegan farmed animal sanctuary and nature preserve with a four-part mission:
CARING for abused and neglected farmed animals
CONSERVING our land
EDUCATING about animal protection and environmental ethics
ADVOCATING for a compassionate society
We are home to over 250 rescued residents. Currently under cultivation, we’re restoring the land to its natural wetland or grassland states, including 21 acres dedicated to native plants and pollinators.