The Canvas unites people with space and support to solve local problems and make life better for everyone around us.
We do this currently out of our first site, just off Brick Lane in East London, but we’re expanding to a new site in SE London. Our Brick Lane site consists of a vegan cafe, creative space and community hub, where we’re a magnet for change makers and positivity pioneers who see The Canvas as spaces for hope, and a basecamp for change.
You’re genuinely passionate about The Canvas’ mission to support grassroots community change, provide for those in need, and unite people in generosity and activism. You also believe in The Canvas’ potential to fulfil this mission.
You understand how important meeting revenue and cost targets are, just as much as ensuring that the cafe and venue provides exceptionally friendly and high quality service, making us stand out from our competitors.
You love being organised, and are happy wearing ‘many hats’.
You’re looking to grow within our organisation, and be a vital role in our organisation’s growth.
Salary: 25,000 to 26,500 per annum based on experience
Working inside the cafe, serving customers and ensuring every customer receives The Canvas level of excellent service.
Meeting with events bookers, showing them the spaces and getting events booked into the calendar.
Ensuring the events spaces are ready for the day’s events, and that everyone in the staff team is aware of their responsibilities to that event, including any pre-booked catering and equipment.
Post on social media relevant and appropriate marketing information.
Ensuring that all events are promoted on all our channels and that the events programme is clearly advertised and communicated to our community.
Meet with the co-owners to discuss progress, future road map, and issues and report on the venue’s KPIs.
Monthly / quarterly tasks
With the co-owners, checking the overall performance of the business (both financially and through social impact), and making future plans
Planning ahead events and partnerships for seasonal events, such as Christmas, summer etc.
More detail on the role:
* Lead the Strategy and Delivery plan for local organisations, social entrepreneurs and groups that access the Community Hub and Creative Space
* Lead on the Strategy and Delivery plan of learning, progression, volunteering and training opportunities for local people who access the Community Hub and Creative Space
* Work with Canvas Senior Management to ensure learning, progression and training opportunities are developed in conjunction with commercial objectives
* Engage users in the development of new events
* Develop and manage a framework for tracking of user engagement, involvement and impact across all Canvas activities
Practically, this means:
* Leads the booking of our two Events Spaces, including responding to our events@ email, carving new relationships and nurturing existing ones.
* Alongside the co-owners, curating a dynamic and innovative programme of events in our Creative Space, always having the future and purpose of The Canvas at the forefront.
* Building the programme of free events in our Community Hub, working with bookers to grow their ideas, providing incubation through connections within our wider community; enabling them, if appropriate, to ‘graduate’ to the Creative Space where they can start charging entry.
* Creating events in other areas of the venue, such as the cafe; acoustic music nights / creative meetups etc. Always thinking how to maximise the potential of our spaces, to bring more people through our doors and engage with The Canvas.
* Creates and builds relationships with Pop Up residencies, enabling them to create contracts with The Canvas and being the main liaison between them and the GM, who is overall accountable for the smooth running of their events.
* Creates and builds relationships with catering bookers, enabling them to book with The Canvas, and handing this relationship to the GM and Head of Kitchen, who are responsible and accountable for the smooth running of these events.
* Working alongside our GM to make sure all Canvas activities and guests support our cafe through purchases, and we have all that’s needed to offer a professional space for others to thrive in.
* Is responsible for the professional set up and strike down of all events spaces, ensuring professionalism and safety at all times.
* Alongside the co-owners, building our portfolio of free training courses in partnership with external funders that support vulnerable people into employment, self-employment, entrepreneurship or further training, ensuring the spaces are suitable for use, and everyone attending has everything they need.
* In charge of the Marketing and Communications of events at The Canvas, leading on marketing campaigns for events, ensuring we’re telling the right people what we’re doing, and doing everything possible to get full houses for our events.
40 hours per week. You will be expected to work flexibly within the opening hours of the venue, including weekends and bank holidays. Most events will take place at our Brick Lane site, but you will be expected to support the cafe at both sites, and build the events programme when appropriate at the new SE London site.
About The Canvas
The Canvas is a profit with a purpose social enterprise community venue and cafe in Spitalfields. We are a blank canvas for positive activism, hosting daily events such as live performance, workshops and talks, art exhibitions, yoga and meditation. Our 100% vegan cafe is open for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week serving homemade meals, cakes and brownies.