WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
As the Public Relations Manager, you will be accountable for supporting the Director of Public Relations Public Relations team in exposing our mission, our programs, and our movement to media, celebrities, and influencers. You are ideal for this position because you have a demonstrated track record of securing highly prominent news coverage in national, regional, and international media outlets.
You have a values-centered approach to your life and to your work. You are ideal for the Public Relations Manager role because you are a self-starter who possesses a positive, can-do attitude. You have a relentless dedication to identifying fresh, new story angles to break important causes into the news cycle. This position reports to the Director of Public Relations.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires 10% domestic travel. This is equivalent to approximately 3-4 trips per year.
- Support and contribute to the goals of our overarching PR and media strategy, focused on securing a diverse abundance of prominent news exposure—around our mission and our work—within regional, national, and international media outlets.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with mission-aligned celebrities and social influencers that result in reciprocal and meaningful partnerships to raise mainstream awareness and drive collective action on our campaigns.
- Coordinate day-to-day PR and media relations activities, including but not limited to: researching, crafting, and disseminating media pitches, conducting 1:1 media outreach, and drafting and distributing press releases.
- Manage and build upon our target media and influencer lists, including those in mainstream news, business, science, health, animal welfare, food, agriculture, philanthropy, and activism.
- Support the management of our media relations database, MuckRack, and update media mentions and press releases, as needed, on Slack and on our website.
- Collaborate closely with our Communications, Organizing, Corporate Engagement, Development, and other departments to reach and realize our media, celebrity, and influencer goals, while supporting the broader organization’s priorities and goals.
- Partner with our Organizing team to conduct localized media outreach, including letters to the editor and opinion pieces, while empowering and training volunteers on media writing, pitching, and relationship-building, locally.
- Monitor and evaluate success towards personal and team goals on a monthly basis.
- Maintain a knowledge of the changing trends in PR, media, and influencer relations, and remain hyper-focused on the daily news cycle.
- Partner with the Director of Public Relations to brainstorm fresh, new angles to remain relevant and timely, in order to break into the news cycle.
- Support the management of our day-to-day PR work with thoughtfulness, while upholding and building our positive reputation.
- Support the development of thought leadership opportunities, including drafting and editing opinion pieces as needed, for the President and other spokespeople.
Other duties as assigned.
- Experience (5-7 years) working in PR or media relations within agencies, nonprofits, or for- profit organizations.
- Excellent persuasive written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience writing and editing long-form news articles, including opinion pieces.
- Experience crafting creative media pitches and press releases.
- Experience conducting highly targeted and customized 1:1 media outreach.
- An aptitude for building meaningful relationships with targeted regional, national, and international media across a variety of mediums, including digital media, print media, broadcast, and podcasts/radio.
- A demonstrated track record in securing highly visible feature stories in top tier media outlets.
- Influencer relations experience, working with high profile celebrities and/or social influencers.
- A cultivated, and active, network of applicable media and influencer contacts.
- A working knowledge of media and influencer databases, including MuckRack and IMDBPro, as well as project management tools, including Asana.
- An authentic alignment with our mission and animal protection work.
Starting salary $66,555 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (email@example.com) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
About The Humane League
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as a Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.