Join our team. Become a Regional Rep!
We are excited to announce the launch of our Regional Rep programme, building a group of voluntary ambassadors located in different regions for The Humane League UK (THL UK). They will contribute to our mission to end the abuse of animals raised for food. They will build and lead a community of animal activists in their area by organising action parties, socials, representing THL UK on stalls, running their local group online and being a key voice for their region to feed into THL UK’s national campaigns.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Regional Rep for THL UK! This is a voluntary role that is designed to be flexible, fit around your other commitments and enable you to use your individual skills.
Regional Reps will make a massive difference to us, THL UK, and most importantly, the farm animals we are fighting for. We just ask for your time, dedication to the cause and commitment to the program. The estimated time commitment for Regional Reps is at least 4 hours per week.
We are looking for Reps who live near to or are able to travel to a major town or city in their region.
Regional Reps agree to:
- Stay in the role for a minimum of 6 months.
- Become a positive role model for THL UK in their local community.
- Positively promote THL UK and our campaigns in their local area.
- Ensure that they do not to bring the name of THL, or our campaigns into disrepute.
- Get involved in THL UK’s campaign actions.
- Promote THL UK’s online presence by directing contacts to our website, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Become a direct THL UK point of contact for their community, responding to queries promptly, accurately and professionally through emails or telephone calls. Where responses require greater levels of information they can
- be passed on to THL UK’s Volunteer Programs Lead.
- Become an active member of the Volunteer Slack channel: with the app downloaded and notifications on.
Attend a monthly online meeting:
- 1 hour online call with a THL UK contact, and the other UK Regional Reps to update on their actions each month in their region. The meeting will also be used to discuss ideas for regional activist engagement.
Running one Action Party per month in their region:
- An Action Party will bring together activists from their local community to get involved in current THL UK campaign actions.
- Create Facebook events for promoting the event online and in their local area.
- Responsible for introducing THL UK to newcomers at the beginning of each Action Party, talking about THL UK generally and the campaigns we are working on.
- Facilitate the Action Party, ensuring everyone knows what they are doing.
- Print the Action Party instructions and bring them to each Action Party.
- Ensure that any letters/postcards written are immediately posted afterwards to ensure our campaigns are nimble.
- Keep a register of attendance and update Emma on who attended.
- Representing THL UK at events with stalls:
- Keep up to date with vegan events/festivals: researching, booking, attending and running stalls representing THL UK in their region.
- Book stalls and represent THL UK on a table for at least two relevant events in their region per year, attending more where possible.
- Responsible for storing one box of merchandise and tabling equipment.
- Keep track of stock levels, a float and how much money is made at each event in a Google spreadsheet, and banking the sales proceeds
- Order more stock from Volunteer Programs Lead when running low. Making sure there are always enough leaflets.
- Ensure Data Protection and GDPR compliance.
- Responsible for collecting and banking donations on our behalf.
- Run a local regional THL UK Facebook group and Slack Channel- building a local THL UK activist community in their area
- Organise socials for people involved with THL UK in their region and post about them in this group (at least two per year). Encourage the building of their local THL UK group.
- Check in with local volunteers on whether they have done the National THL campaign actions that THL UK staff members have posted in the volunteer Slack channel.
- Post relevant updates in these groups.
- Encourage local activists to get involved in leafleting for THL UK current campaigns.
- Store and distribute campaign leaflets to activists in their area who want to get involved in campaign leafleting. Coach activists in best practice for leafleting using the ‘How to Leaflet for THL UK’ instructions.
What skills and traits are we looking for in our Regional Reps:
- Interest in effective farmed animal advocacy
- Strength in motivating others
- Good communication skills
- Social media savvy
- Reliable and responsive
- Willingness to step outside of their comfort zone
- Interest in long-term engagement in the movement
- Knowledge of THL UK’s mission and programs
- Near to/able to travel to a major city in their region. We are ideally looking for Reps to be based in or near to: Greater London- anywhere in London, South East- Brighton, East of England- Norwich, South West- Bristol, North West- Manchester, Yorkshire and the Humber-Leeds, West Midlands- Birmingham, Scotland- Edinburgh or Glasgow, Wales- Cardiff, East Midlands- Nottingham, North East- Newcastle.
If you are based in or near to another major city in your region, and are interested in becoming a Regional Rep, do still apply.
Useful to have:
- Public speaking skills
- Previous activism experience
- A ‘People Person’
About The Humane League UK
The Humane League was founded in the US in 2005. We’ve been operating in the UK since 2016, when we hired our first campaigner. Since then, we’ve been able to take on more staff, become a registered charity, and score some incredible progress for animals.
We advocate for corporate reforms through hard-hitting animal welfare campaigns, and provide information and encouragement to help people make dietary choices that will reduce animal suffering.
None of this would be possible without our growing team of volunteers and supporters mobilising across the country. Please join us by signing up to our Fast Action Network, becoming a volunteer or making a donation today.
We are a registered charity in the UK, number 1177926.