WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
As the Social Media Specialist, you will be at the forefront of our online outreach—reaching millions of caring people across social media, exposing cruelty, and inspiring action to end the abuse of animals raised for food. You will be accountable for creating and sharing content on all of our social media platforms (including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn), building our online audience, and managing community engagement. Our work environment is collaborative and fast-paced, and this is an opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the field of animal protection.
You are a self-starter and have a relentless dedication to exploring creative ideas, optimizing workflows where possible, and achieving goals. This position reports directly to the Social Media Manager.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires 10% domestic travel. This is equivalent to approximately 1-2 trips per year.
- Content Curation
- Ideate, produce, write copy for, and schedule compelling social media content that captures attention, informs, and inspires supporters to take action, in partnership and with the support of our design and video teams.
- Project manage and maintain the social media content calendar within Asana, including assigning tasks to relevant team members, collecting video and design assets, and ensuring all social media deliverables are received in a timely manner for scheduling.
- Use research and outreach tactics to identify topical content opportunities to thoughtfully engage our community around mission-related issues. Including but not limited to: monitoring timely news, covering stories from undercover investigations, spotlighting other animal protection and vegan organizations.
- Moderate comments and inboxes across all social media platforms, providing encouragement and thoughtful replies to supporter questions and concerns.
- Foster an inclusive community of engaged supporters, adapting to their needs, and balancing hard-hitting, action-driving content with uplifting, empowering stories.
- Regularly report on social media progress, including post/page performance statistics and engagement.
- Apply critical assessment to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, as well as monitor trends and pages within our movement in order to make recommendations for future content ideas and areas for growth.
- Track all call-to-action links from social media that drive traffic to The Humane League’s website by using UTM (Urchin Tracking Module) link tracking to comprehend supporter engagement, acquisition, and conversions.
- Partner with the Social Media Manager on overall page management across all platforms, strategy alignment, tactics, and planning.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated success in managing social media pages, with at least 2 years of experience.
- Exemplary communication and copywriting skills, with an ability to hone a social media brand personality that is engaging and approachable, while remaining true to
- THL’s core brand voice, tone, and personality.
- An appreciation for compelling visual storytelling, and the ability to strategically combine words and images for maximum impact—bringing concepts to life by briefing them out to a design team, or optionally, creating templated visuals yourself (in line with established style guides and feedback from our design team).
- Comprehension of analytics and how to glean insights from various data sources.
- Extremely organized and attentive to detail, with an ability to manage projects with multiple moving parts and varying deadlines.
- Proactive self-starter.
- Collaborative team player.
- Alignment with our mission and animal protection work.
Starting salary $43,225 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
About The Humane League
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as a Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.