The Shamayim V’Aretz Institute (SVAI)—the Jewish Animal Advocacy and Vegan movement—seeks a full-time team member for our organization that will educate leaders, train advocates, and lead campaigns for the compassionate treatment of animals. The Program Director will direct key programs and take a major role in fostering new initiatives. Tasks for the Program Director include:
- Building content for the organization’s website, social media management, writing and soliciting content.
- Organizing a national fellowship program that educates and trains college students interested in animal advocacy from a Jewish perspective at colleges throughout the US.
- Planning and executing the goals of the annual SVAI retreat for Jewish vegan allies and activists.
- Reaching out to faith leaders to help build an interfaith animal advocacy movement.
- Leading the Synagogue Vegan Challenge program.
The ideal candidate for this position should be a self-starter who can manage multiple projects, take initiative, has some non-profit experience, and can work quickly and efficiently.
Principal Duties include:
- Work with SVAI staff and board members to handle Institute projects and programs.
- Represent SVAI in calls with volunteers and local representatives and partners.
- Coordinate, organize, develop, and plan the college fellowship program.
- Project management, campaign management, and help planning upcoming retreats
- Recruitment of college fellows, campaign volunteers, retreat attendees
- Fundraising (donor cultivation, grant writing, etc.) & donor stewardship (thank you notes, donor database, etc.)
- Management of staff members and contractors, manage administration tasks as needed
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organization skills and follow through
- Outgoing personality and comfortable recruiting/cold-calling
- Knowledge of Jewish community and general non-profit organizations
- Strong computer skills including Google apps. Website management skills (Weebly, WordPress, etc.) a plus
- Strong interest in animal welfare, veganism, and the environment
- Grant writing experience a plus
Full-time staff position. Work from home in any city in America. Competitive pay and benefits. Resumes should be sent to email@example.com.
About The Shamayim V'Aretz Institute
The Shamayim V'Aretz Institute is a Jewish animal welfare organization that educates leaders, trains advocates, and leads campaigns for the ethical treatment of animals.
"Shamayim V'Aretz" means "Heaven and Earth" in Hebrew. The goal of Jewish life is to bring heaven down to earth and to sanctify the world through all of our just and holy endeavors. The Midrash teaches that there is a temple located in the heavens that sits directly above the temple on earth (Genesis Rabbah 69:7). The same G-d who makes the heavens radiate also illuminates our earthly existence. We are the stewards of the earth seeking to ensure that heaven still has a place on earth by removing injustice, oppression, and suffering from our midst. The animal kingdom is the most abused of all sentient beings. By protecting the most vulnerable creatures on earth, we return the holiness to our world by bringing Shamayim back down to the Aretz, by bringing heaven back down to earth.