Farmed animal care experience is required. Pay is based on experience with farmed animal care, starts at $15/hr — onsite housing is available as part of the compensation package
Uplands PEAK Sanctuary is Indiana’s first farmed animal sanctuary. PEAK recently moved to a much larger property with the vision of helping more animals in need through our rescue and education programs. Joining our team is a unique opportunity to join the grassroots animal rights movement and continue to grow a top-notch sanctuary dedicated to the liberation of the most abused animals on the planet.
We are seeking a passionate team member to help us strengthen and grow. Animal care is dirty, physical, and emotionally taxing work that requires honesty, self-care, and teamwork. You will enjoy this job if you are a hard worker, flexible, truly love all animals, and are committed to the liberation of farmed animals.
The Animal Care Lead is responsible for assisting with and overseeing all aspects of daily animal care and guidelines:
· Reports directly to Sanctuary Manager
· Assists Volunteer Coordinator with scheduling volunteers
· Oversees and works alongside volunteers, interns, and Animal Caregiver
· Runs fecal tests for all residents
· Maintain animal treatment records
· Taking animals to vet appointments
· Ensuring animal care treatment plans are followed as directed
· Administering medications, injections, and supplements
· Perform monthly health care checks
· Inventory, order, and stock animal care supplies
· Implement new animal enrichment
· Continuously research treatment and care best practices
· Trim hooves, clean ears, brush, bath, and similar care
· Feed and provide water for animals
· Meticulously clean stalls, grounds, coops, crates, etc.
· Help to maintain grounds, pastures, and habitats as necessary
· Other administrative tasks and projects as needed
PEAK’s ideal team member is:
· Passionate and committed to PEAK’s mission, vision, and values.
· Able to work in solitude or a small group
· Experienced in caring for rescued farmed animals like cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and goats.
· Dedicated to learning and continuous improvement of sanctuary operations and animal care procedures
· Able to understand and precisely follow oral and written directions.
· Extremely observant; able to notice and communicate subtle changes in animals’ appearance and behavior.
· Adaptable in a busy and ever-changing environment.
· Calm under pressure.
· Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
· Able to lift 50lbs consistently.
Applicants must have a valid driver’s license, pass a criminal background check, and be willing to work long hours (at times) including weekends, some holidays, and possible overnights. Hourly pay is based on the level of experience caring for rescued farmed animals.
This position is eligible for on-site housing which includes: appliances, paid utilities, and Wi-Fi. One week paid vacation time. Paid holidays.
About Uplands Peak Sanctuary, Inc.
We rescue and rehabilitate abused and neglected farmed animal, educate the public to the benefits of a healthy vegan lifestyle, and promote sustainability.