Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for PEAK’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. They will initially develop deep knowledge of the residents, core programs, operations, and strategic plans.
This is a hybrid position majority of work can be performed remotely.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing program excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize Uplands PEAK’s volunteers, board members, community, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction.
- Responsible for the development of the strategic plan with the board, and enacting that plan to ensure PEAK can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of PEAK’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professionals, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for the volunteer program and coordination, including retaining interns needed to accomplish all tasks: onsite training, scheduling, volunteer-focused events, group enrichment, appreciation, and overall positive energy to keep everyone engaged.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of PEAK, including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within an approved budget and financial policies enacted by the board.
- Ensure maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Develop an overall social media strategy and coordinate the execution.
Actual Job Responsibilities:
– Ensure implementation of policies adopted by the board, and follow the policies accordingly
– Planning and operation of the annual budget
– Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit which follow the overall policies adopted by the Board, or as written in the by-laws
– Serving as PEAK’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public
– Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance PEAK’s mission
– Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions
– Recruit, supervise, and collaborate with staff, interns, and volunteers to complete responsibilities
– Coordinate the development of a strategic plan and assume responsibility for implementation
– Oversee marketing and other communications efforts
– Review and recommend contracts for services for approval to the Board
– Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
The ED will be thoroughly committed to Upland PEAK’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge and experience in caring for formerly farmed animals
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- An action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Strong public speaking ability
- Must adhere to a vegan lifestyle
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
May include moderate to heavy work at times – Exerts from 30lbs to 50lbs force. Standing, sitting, reaching, typing, and walking are common.
Prerequisites for Employment:
– Pre-employment drug test
– Criminal background check
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
What we offer:
Hybrid work schedule
Self Managed Personal Time Off
Please submit a cover letter discussing the importance of farmed animal sanctuaries and your previous experience with non-profit leadership, a resume, and a minimum of 3 references.
NO CALLS, please.
EEO/AA Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
About Uplands Peak Sanctuary, Inc.
We rescue and rehabilitate abused and neglected farmed animals, educate the public about the benefits of a healthy vegan lifestyle, and promote sustainability.