Vietnam Cat Welfare is a UK registered charity working to reduce cat suffering in Central Vietnam. We rescue, rehabilitate and rehome hundreds of cats every year, as well as working with the local community to promote compassion for all animals through education. We have a small vegan cafe at our shelter in Hoi An – Jack’s Cat Cafe – where we welcome visitors to spend some time with our 80+ cats, with all proceeds going towards supporting the charity.
We are looking for an Animal Care Manager to live onsite, overseeing all on site animal care as well as our outreach programme, including rescue, TNR, fostering and adoption.
We are ideally looking for someone to start around mid July, however we will consider all applications.
A small, local salary will be provided, plus accommodation and meals.
On Site Animal Care:
- Oversee all daily animal care routines, including opening / closing, feeding, cleaning and medications.
- Conduct regular health checks on all animals.
- Oversee all sterilizations and vaccinations.
- Be the primary point of contact with all local vets.
- Manage food, litter and medical stock.
- Oversee the fostering and adoption programmes, including being the primary point of contact for all potential adopters / fosterers, conducting home checks and ensuring all animals are well looked after.
- Alongside the CEO, oversee all animal rescues.
- Manage the Outreach Assistant.
- Locate new TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) sites and conduct subsequent operations.
- Assist the CEO in all new outreach programmes, including community sterilization, rabies vaccinations and local education.
- Assist the Shelter Manager with Operations and Facilities.
- Manage general volunteers and assist the Shelter Manager and Cafe Manager with volunteer coordination.
- Assist the CEO with identifying new revenue streams for fundraising.
- Create quality content for our social media channels.
- Create and nurture relationships in the wider community, creating partnerships for outreach work and fundraising opportunities.
- At least 2 years working with animals, with some experience working with cats.
- At least 1 year working in a management or supervisory position, preferably in a small business / charity environment.
- Lived / spent time in Vietnam.
- Worked in a Veterinary environment.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS:
- Strong understanding of animal health and behaviour, with some specific knowledge relating to cats.
- Able to communicate effectively with people from different places and backgrounds.
- Able to multitask and work in a high pressure environment.
- Able to ride a motorbike / scooter.
- Speak other languages (Vietnamese especially)
- Unfortunately we have to deal with a lot of animal welfare issues here so very long and unsociable working hours are often required. A real commitment to the cause, strong work ethic and a lot of flexibility are essential.
- This position is contracted to 1 year, with a 3 month probation period. It is essential that you are able to commit to this amount of time.
- Whilst we do provide accommodation and a small salary, we are unfortunately unable to contribute towards your travel or visa costs.
- We are a vegan shelter, with no animal products being consumed by humans on site. An understanding of veganism and animal welfare on a wider scale is essential.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Animal Care Manager Position’ along with a cover letter outlining:
- Why you think you would be ideal for the job.
- Why you want to work for Vietnam Cat Welfare.
- What you think you will bring to the charity.