We’re looking to recruit a productive and pro-active person to assist the Head Chef in creating delicious plant-based food prepared from raw ingredients and to exacting standards. You don’t need to be vegan, but you’ll be passionate about vegan cuisine with incredible flavours and baking cakes, biscuits, traybakes and making soups and sandwich fillings from scratch.
Most of our customers are not plant-based and some are skeptical about giving us a try, but every dish is an opportunity to inspire and delight people and maybe even change their view of vegan cooking. To do this we make everything on site using quality organic, UK grown where possible ingredients and offer a small but varied menu including familiar items (e.g. baked beans, hummus) and more adventurous or unusual foods too (e.g. jackfruit based sandwich).
You’ll be keen to join our small team and get stuck in with all jobs including thorough cleaning and washing up as well as range of food tasks such as making up sandwiches for the day, cake baking/icing, vegetable prep and making savoury items such as hummus (or other spreads) and soups. Most food is prepared in advance but there may be some simple cooking and plating up to order too.
Once training is complete, there will be days you may be solely responsible for the kitchen, following task lists and ensuring everything is completed to high standards and on time. Previous professional kitchen/food experience is desirable although not essential; an interest in the job, thinking on your feet, enthusiasm to learn, ability to keep up under pressure and the right attitude is equally important. Training can be provided.
You’ll work closely alongside our Head Chef, and with the rest of the cafe team to ensure the smooth operation of the cafe in accordance with our policies. You’ll be willing to work weekends and daytime shifts with evening shifts for occasional special events.
You’ll be proud of The Wildcat’s pioneering and environmentally responsible offering in the Highlands, and will help inspire customers through the food you create.
- Prepare and cook a range of plant-based dishes including cakes, soups and sandwich fillings
- Make up sandwiches each morning
- Plate up simple dishes on demand when required
- Support head chef with vegetable prep
- Share the washing up and cleaning of the kitchen as you work and also at the end of the day
- Support Head Chef in restocking kitchen shelves and checking and unpacking deliveries
- Ensure that, food and drink is stored, prepared and presented according to health and safety legislation and cafe standards
- Contribute to cleaning and maintenance of general cafe space including utility room
- Utilise and maintain cafe equipment correctly and safely at all times and in accordance with relevant cafe policies
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Current Food Hygiene certificate and knowledge of Cooksafe
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen or cafe including preparing plant based food achieving high levels of cleanliness
- Experience baking breads and cakes
- Passion for great food and flavours
- Interest in plant-based, organic, ‘real’ food and wider food systems
- Interest in wholefood plant based nutrition and healthy cooking minimising oil/salt use
- Ability to multi-task well and adapt workflow during the day as required
- Attention to process, detail and quality
- Ability to work quickly and well under pressure without supervision
- Happy to work Saturdays and early mornings
- Be positive and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Great communication skills
- Willingness to learn, be flexible, pitch-in and embrace change
- Ability to work well alone as well as in a team
- Passion for implementing environmentally friendly practices in the workplace
- Ability to manage food to avoid waste
- A positive and empowering working environment
- Short term accommodation may be available for those moving to the area, please enquire upon application; if not help finding local accommodation will be offered
- Free lunch every shift and a generous staff discount on other purchases
- £9 – £10.50 per hour based on experience and after training
- Access to occupational training
- Eco discounts and incentives
- A job surrounded by mountains, lochs, Winter sports, mountain biking, trad climbing, kayaking and hiking.
This is a 4 or 5 day permanent position. To apply, please send us your CV and a covering letter saying how you fit the bill to email@example.com. Online interviews will be held week commencing Monday 12 April. Potential start date 18 May.
About WILDCAT CAFE LTD
The Wildcat Cafe was the first 100% vegan eatery in the Scottish Highlands. In year one, we banned disposable cups, got to the finals of Dragon's Glen and the 2018 VIBES Scottish Environmental Business Award and are featured in the publications 'Scotland the Best' and the 'Scottish Independent Coffee Guide'. Every day we challenge existing norms in the food and drink industry, and we also offer plastic free shopping via a small wholefoods and weigh your own section and at the back of the shop.