This is an exciting opportunity for someone to work in a dynamic speciality coffee shop and vegan cafe in the Outdoor Capital of the UK. We provide the best coffee in the Scottish Highlands. No question. Being plant based is no obstacle to showcasing how amazing coffee can taste, and we are very lucky to have Dear Green Coffee Roasters as our main supplier, who started the speciality scene in Scotland.
You’ll be a perfectionist about coffee, which you’ll craft on our beautiful La Marzocco Strada. You’ll ideally have a minimum of 1 years’ Barista experience including dialling in, consistent dosing and latte art using plant based milks as well as knowledge of single origin beans and their flavour profile and brewing techniques such as batch brew and V60 and will help us to grow this part of the business as well as the coffee scene in the Highlands.
You’ll be happy to share Barista duties with others and get involved in any task associated with running a busy cafe as required. You’ll be the first point of contact for our varied customer base; delivering first rate, efficient and friendly customer service.
Although your main duties will be based around crafting the best coffee, in this role, you’ll also be willing to prepare and serve a range of food and drinks including delicious sandwiches, hot meals, non-espresso based lattes and loose-leaf teas as and when required. Previous cafe/barista experience is essential. In return, we will create a positive and vibrant environment where you’ll relish coming to work each day.
You’ll work closely with the rest of the team to ensure the smooth operation of the cafe in accordance with our policies. You’ll be proud of The Wildcat’s pioneering and environmentally responsible offering in the Highlands, and will present our vegan business in a positive and enthusiastic manner to all our customers.
- Give a personal and warm interaction with every customer
- Serve customers with a friendliness, respect and efficiency that surpasses their expectations
- Ensure the Cafe is fit for service in respect of both food prep and appropriate hygiene standards at all times and leave it in the condition you like to find it at the start of your shift
- Ensure that, food and drink is stored, prepared and presented according to health and safety legislation and cafe standards at all times
- Prepare hot drinks including espresso-based coffees, single origin brews and loose-leaf teas to perfecting standards in accordance with cafe training
- Champion our home made food and serve it with care, avoiding food waste
- Use and maintain cafe equipment correctly and safely at all times and in accordance with relevant cafe policies
- Cash handling and using a till for accurate record keepings and security
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Customer service experience
- Experience working in a cafe including preparing food and achieving high levels of cleanliness
- Barista trained with at least 1 year’s experience
- Current Food Hygiene certificate
- Warm, genuine people manner
- Be positive and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Ability to multi-task well
- Attention to process, detail and quality
- Great communication skills
- Passion for implementing environmentally friendly practices in the workplace
- Ability to work quickly and well under pressure, without supervision
- Happy to work weekends and some early mornings
- Willingness to learn, be flexible, pitch-in and embrace change
- Ability to work well alone as well as in a team
- Interest in speciality coffees and tea
- A passion for organic vegetables and ‘real’ food
- Fluent English speaker, ability to speak another language a benefit.
What we will offer you:
- A positive and empowering working environment
- Holiday pay and generous staff discount
- £9 – £10 per hour based on experience
- Access to Barista or other occupational training dependent on commitment
- Possible help finding accommodation
- A job, surrounded by mountains, wildlife, winter sports, mountain biking, trad climbing and hiking!
- The opportunity to become a pioneer of coffee professionalism in the Scottish Highlands
- Eco benefits and incentives
- We can potentially offer short term accommodation with this role until accommodation is found in the area
To apply, email your CV and a covering letter detailing how you fit the bill to firstname.lastname@example.org
About WILDCAT CAFE LTD
The Wildcat Cafe was the first 100% vegan eatery in the Scottish Highlands. In year one, we banned disposable cups, got to the finals of Dragon's Glen and the 2018 VIBES Scottish Environmental Business Award and are featured in the publications 'Scotland the Best' and the 'Scottish Independent Coffee Guide'. Every day we challenge existing norms in the food and drink industry, and we also offer plastic free shopping via a small whole foods and weigh your own section and at the back of the shop.