Including but not limited to
- Will monitor and ensure the safety of campers. This is always our top priority.
- Positively support campers in keeping the camp agreements they set up and in following the YEA Honor Code and rules
- Lead workshops or camp activities, as planned with camp directors and staff
- Share about their own activist experiences in a way that inspires youth to take positive action for change
- Be a positive role model to youth
- Work cohesively and in close communication with other talented staff
- Help prepare meals and keep camp clean and operating smoothly, as needed
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude for youth and staff throughout camp
- Pitch in however is needed to have camp be a total success and a lifechanging experience for everyone involved
- Commit to mentoring 2 to 4 campers after camp to help youth bring their plans into action. Mentoring will take place over phone calls, Skype, email, Facebook and/or in several reunions during the year. Counselors will be coached throughout their mentoring by a YEA Camp director. The time commitment varies but is less than 2 hours per month.
- Successfully worked with teen-aged youth in a supportive environment
- A history of engaging in nonviolent social, political, environmental or other activism, community organizing, or other forms of engagement for social change, preferably on multiple different issues and using a variety of positive tactics and approaches
- A commitment to strive towards human rights, environmental and animal protection, and anti-oppression
- A familiarity and passion for current events, awareness of multiple social issues, and humility and intellectual curiosity regarding new topics and differing ideas and viewpoints
- A desire to bring the skills and ideas they have learned to the next generation of leaders and change-makers
- Worked well collaboratively with others, using non-violent or other respectful communication
- Outstanding maturity, interpersonal skills, great sense of humor, willingness to go outside one’s comfort zone, and a desire to have lots of fun while maintaining a commitment to the camp’s goal of supporting youth activism
- A vision for the transformation of our communities, ourselves, and our planet
- CPR/First Aid are a plus
- Preference for those with previous camp staff experience
- Preference for those interested in working to grow YEA Camp throughout the year and in future summers
Adult camp is 7 days long. There is a mandatory four-day staff training prior to camp in each location. You must be available for these 4 days. Training will be on-site overnight.
· Adult Camp | High Falls, New York | June 26 – July 7
$350, negotiable DOE, including room and board. We are unable to cover the costs associated with traveling to the camp.
Please visit https://yeacamp.org/work-with-us/ and fill out an application. Background checks will be conducted.
About Youth Empowered Action (YEA) Camp
Youth Empowered Action (YEA) Camp is a social justice leadership camp that trains aspiring activists to make a bigger difference on the causes they care about. Since 2009, YEA Camp has trained over 700 teens to get active and be more effective on the issues of their choice, and in 2018 YEA Camp expanded to offer this week-long overnight program to adults as well. Serving vegan food to fuel the revolution.